LXXI - Before The Hunt Begins

An event of sorts, but a gory one at that. One with secrets that are yet to be revealed, but are sure to change one life, or multiple lives.

For good.

***

The only thing that would indicate the squads presence in a cabin is an excessive amount of horses that would be gathered outside. But as the light of day grew scarce, the dark furred creatures would only be more difficult to see. We had slowed to a trot, crickets beginning to play their songs of the night, hoping to attract a mate. Trees grew thicker within every meter, and the only thing keeping me from being completely blinded by darkness with the speed of my eyes adjusting to the change in light.

I could barely see silhouettes, but I could see them just enough to determine whether they were near or far. Eventually, a clearing was lit up by the interior of a building on the right side of the road, a worn down cabin placed behind some half length brick fence that surrounded the structure. Warily, I get off my mount, leaving him a little behind as I go to investigate the scene.

I had nothing to defend myself with except my arms and legs, and I could hardly depend on them to protect me from a sword or a firearm if I were to provoke the occupants. Sneaking up closer to the building, the light flickering across the walls from the candles that provided, I crouched behind the short brick wall and observe the yard. Six horses were illuminated, all standing with their eyes closed as they allowed their slumber to befall them.

Just then, I felt something cold and metal being pushed up against the back of my head making me freeze in place.

"Hands up, slowly." The voice said quietly, soon followed by the bolt handle being shifted and a bullet being slowly loaded into the chamber. But the voice was familiar, deep and confident. I raise my hands, and slowly turn to face the pursuer, making eye contact with the barrel of the rifle set to kill me if I did anything Jean didn't like.

"Evening, Horseface." I greet quietly, the rifle soon being lowered and his face came into view. He squinted, the light coming from behind me only making it all the more difficult for him to actually see who I was.

"Y/N?" Was his response, uncertainty lacing his words as he was unsure on whether his guess was correct or not.

"Yes, idiot." I roll my eyes, standing up fully and letting out a quick whistle. The sleeping horses jolted slightly from the sound, and my own mount emerged from the darkness and toward me, nearly barging Jean out of the way completely.

"We thought you were coming with the Captain." He asked as he walked ahead of me, Sin instinctively joining the other horses as the two of us paced to the front door.

"I was supposed to, he had to meet with Erwin in Trost. He'll likely be back in the morning. Who's here monitoring you all?" I ask, watching as his hand wrap around the door handle and twisting while pushing. At first glance, we are met with a small foyer that eventually lead into a hallway adorned with four doors. To the right, a double doorway, without the doors, lead into the dining and kitchen area where a fire was lit to keep the interior warm. There were two candles lit, one on the dining table and another on the countertop that was spotless.

At the dining table, two people sat beside each other, one whose head was resting on their forearms that were folded over each other on the table, the other was sitting upright, head slightly leaning forward with their eyes closed. Mikasa's short hair curtained her face to the point it was nearly impossible to know who it was, the only thing giving it away was the scarf her nose was buried in. Eren's hair sprawled over the fabric that clung to his arms, the flickering candlelight casting warm shadows everywhere it could reach.