XXXIII - What's The Situation Here, Brats?

Human blood doesn't steam.

***
a/n: long chapter ahead, buckle up!

I was on patrol on the eastern side of Trost, sitting at the edge of the wall with my legs dangling off. I picked up a stone, twiddling with it between my fingers as I gaze down at three titans, their arms waving up towards me like a child begging to be picked up. I throw the stone down, one titans eye flinching slightly as the stone landed in it.

"Y/N!" I hear my brothers voice call out to me. I turn to look at him, a curious eyebrow raised as I rise to my feet to meet Felix running towards me.

"Fe?" I voice in uncertainty.

"The scouts are leaving for their expedition." He huffed. My eyes widened. "The Special Operations squad is waiting at the gate." He hunched over, hands on his knees as he slowly regained control of his breathing.

"What?!" I nearly shout, pushing past him and sprinting along the wall. I look down at the streets in Trost, watching as few citizens headed towards the southern gate. I pushed myself to run faster, scaling the wall with every passing second.

This is the only time I'd be able to see Levi and Hange in lord knows how long. It's been five, nearly six full years since I've talked to them in person, I'd be lucky if I even got to see them before they rode beyond the wall.

I couldn't use my gear. Not unless it was an emergency or if I'm getting up the wall. So using my legs to the best of my ability was the only way to go about this. I approached the gate, it becoming larger with each step of the way I made. But as I neared it, the gate rose.

Fuck.

I ran towards the outer side of the wall, checking the perimeter. My eyes widened as I see the soldier somehow missed two ten-meter titans just outside the gate. I heard Erwin shouting, declaring the beginning of the 56th expedition soon accompanied by the beating hooves of horses. I launch off the wall, heading straight for the two titans that were just outside of the gate. I heard orders being thrown as they came into view.

"Eld! Gunther!" I hear Levi's voice shout. "Take them out!"

I draw my swords, hooking to a titan and shooting for its nape faster than people could even process. My swords glided through the nape, my face splashed with the burning feel of titan blood. Maneuvering myself through the air, I instantly retrieve my anchors and flew across the second titans ankles, swiftly obliterating its achilles. Before it could even fall, I hooked to the wall, soaring behind the titans neck and removing its nape entirely.

My feet make contact with the wall, my hooks allowing me to land there. My face spattered with titan blood that was slowly disintegrated into nothing. No movement happened. I couldn't hear the hooves starting up again so I go and land on one of the steaming carcasses and turn towards the gate.

I make eye contact with Erwin, then Hange, then Levi, our eyes lingering a little before I usher them out. It hurt me seeing them right in front of me but I couldn't take them into my arms and tell them how much I missed them. I couldn't speak any words that would seem the least bit unprofessional simply because we were all doing our jobs.

"The coast is clear. Come back safe, I beg of you." I call out to them. Reluctantly, they move forward and I turn to check the perimeter once more. "Well hurry up, I know you're on a time limit." I push, forcing them to move faster. Levi clicked his tongue, whipping his reins and galloping through the gates, making eye contact with me before giving a small nod. I nod back, watching as Erwin and the Levi squad rode passed.