XII - Family Banter

"I was sold at the hug." Isabel beams.

***

It's been two days since we've arrived in Karanes at my parents house. My parents welcomed Isabel with open arms and she settled in quite nicely, though, she is still a little reluctant about how easily my mother and my father took her in.

"So when the letters 'th' are together, it creates the sound at the beginning of the word 'the.'" I explain to Isabel. "The letters 'ing' create the sound at the end of the word 'nothing.'"

"So to spell the word 'thing,' it's just t-h-i-n-g?" Isabel spells out. I nod in confirmation.

"Correct. You're getting the hang of this easily." I say with a soft smile. "Now the letters 'tch' are together, they create the sound at the end of the word 'watch.'" I explain.

"Like the sound Bro makes when he's annoyed." She giggled. I laugh with her.

"Precisely." I pull out a book from under my bed and flip to a random page, pointing at a word that looked simple. "What does that say?"

"T-tree?" She says in question. I nod my head flipping to a different page.

"What about this sentence?" I ask, watching as she inspected the writing on the page.

"'I watched as he- she, looked at the sun.'" She read out. I nodded with a big smile.

"Good job!" I praise. She returned a relieved smile. "We'll continue this tomorrow, it's getting late." I say looking out the window, the dimly lit streets void of any living organism. I see her nod from the corner of my eye and stand up. She walked to the bed that sat in the corner of the room and threw herself onto it.

"Early start in the morning. Just because we're not at Headquarters, doesn't mean we're not training." I explain. We hadn't trained for the passed couple days purely because of catch ups with my family. She groaned loudly.

"Fine." She mumbled into her pillow. I chuckled lowly.

"Get some rest. I'll see you in the morning." I smile before pulling myself up from the chair, blowing out the candle and walking out, closing the door behind me. As I laid my hand on my room door, I heard a knock at the door. I furrowed my eyebrows.

"Who even? It's late." I muttered to myself as I retrieved my hand and walk downstairs to the front door.
I pursed my lips as I reached out to the door, my breath hitching slightly in shock as the cool metal made contact with my skin. I held my breath as I open the door, looking up at a black haired and green eyed man.

"Felix?" I whisper. I hadn't seen him in months.

"Hey, sis." He smiled warmly. I walked forward and practically fell into his arms.

"It's been too long." I laugh as I wrap my arms tightly around him. "How's Kerrie?" I ask as I pull away from him.

"She's good. She wanted to come but the pregnancy has taken a toll on her." He shrugged. I moved aside. "What brings you here anyway?" He asked as he walked inside quietly and moved into the kitchen.

"I decided to visit Mum and Dad before our next expedition in a couple weeks." He sighed as I explain my reason for the visit.

"I still wish you joined Garrison. The scouts are so dangerous, you of all people should know that." He pouted.

"I like being a scout, Fe. It's actually very nice outside the walls besides the gore." I say.

"Scenery should be the least of your worries, sis. Your life is at more risk than most people." He furrowed his eyebrows as he looked down at the kitchen counter.