XCIII - What's Said At Midnight

tw: mentions of  attempted sexual assault, rape, abuse and violence

"Will you let me be yours?" He asked, and for a moment, for a very long moment, the world ceased to exist.

***
~Two Weeks Later~

Time flew by in the blink of an eye.

Eren's hardening training proved to be beneficial, myself usually kept around to keep an eye on both him and Hange while Levi was busy sorting other matters.

It had been two weeks since Levi asked to be mine, two quick weeks of figuring out what we wanted in this newfound relationship we had established. We were subtle about it, and regardless of how discreet it was I was happy. Ecstatic, even.

Eren's hardening training was proving to be beneficial, he had learned to create a crystal shell nearly large enough to cover a broken gate, his next task being to seal the Trost gate at the Southern end of the district, which was due to be done in the next three days. And now?

Now, I walk through the corridors of Headquarters toward Levi's office, five minutes before midnight on Christmas Eve. With it being this late, I wasn't the least bit tired, in fact I was kind of excited, and tomorrow wasn't even my own birthday. It was Levi's, his first dated birthday, and I was going to give him his gift at midnight.

It was a rather quiet night, drizzling outside with a half moon sneaking peeks from between every cloud it could. With a bag in one hand and the hem of my shirt pinched in my fingers in the other, I stop in the hall just to gaze outside for a moment. Raindrops trailing down the glass, silhouettes of trees swaying in the dull moonlight, glowing clouds racing across the sky as they were adorned with the light of night.

I had some warm feeling in me tonight, like some type of happiness that was a breath of fresh air. Like I worked hard to earn this feeling, like I deserve it. My grip on the bag tightened a little more as I turned and continued down the hall, advancing towards Levi's office, and as it came to view candlelight flickered beneath the door. He was still awake, and I seriously shouldn't be surprised.

I wasn't sure what it was, but I almost was nervous, reluctant, even, to raise a hand and knock on the door. And with a breath, I raised a hand and tapping my knuckles on the wood three times. It was silent for a moment, and for that moment I wondered if I was actually wrong about whether he was asleep or not. That was until two shadows became more and more evident under the door and it clicked open, revealing the raven himself.

He looked at me, lips parting and eyes mellowing before his mouth twitched up into the smallest of smiles. I return the expression with a larger smile, beaming at him as I hold up the bag.

"Hey." I murmur, making sure to not speak too loud in case I accidentally wake someone up. He was quick to step to the side, allowing me in before he closed the door behind me. His office was warm, soft flickering flames playing upon the glowing red embers that laid hot in the fireplace. It smelled of incense, the scent just lightly merging with the air. I instantly move for the divan that sat by the fireplace, placing the bag down on the table that was situated between it and the fireplace.

"Hey, what're you doing up? We have some more training with Eren to do tomorrow." He said, moving across the room to his small tea station he had beside his desk. I wave him off while I shake my head, shaking my shoes off before pulling my feet up onto the divan with me, facing the raven.

"Yeah, about that. I asked Erwin if we could have tomorrow off, he said it was fine." He turned to me with a frown, the expression only making me wave him off before he decided to protest. "But that's beside the point, what's important is what's going to happen in about thirty seconds." I say, a mischief smile spreading across my features as I lean forward and pat the seat in front of me.