XXXVI - Brat

"The tooth has already grown back..."

***

Grabbing few belongings in my room I shared with Rico, I shove my clothes in my satchel and moved to the bottom drawer of my nightstand. I open it, freezing at the sight of the hundreds of letters I had collected over the years. I chuckle lightly to myself, remembering all the chaos that stained the pages.

The tea stains, sometimes the occasional drop of sweat after a long days training. Other times, there were even drops of spilt red wine. I brush my fingers across the words on the top of the first letter.

Y/N
From Levi

As much as I loved the thrill of receiving half a dozen letters every week from the Scouts, it felt good to be finally leaving this place and going back. I haven't been to the Scouts Headquarters for years, I'm not even sure if they're still in the same one. If I recall correctly, the old Headquarters was left for a new one, leaving the one I called home abandoned. I frown, not knowing the chances of being able to see the cavern again. To see the places I'd made so many precious memories in.

Gently taking the stack of letters into my hands, I place them carefully in my satchel before walking to the door, gazing back at the room I had spent the last six years in. One final gaze absorbing the view before I step out into the corridors and close the door behind me.

The regiment was out in the Headquarters yard, receiving a briefing about the coming events of day as I head towards the stables to grab Sin. As I paced there, I was stopped by a voice behind me.

"Hey." I turn, meeting the icy blue eyes of none other than Rico. She eyed me blankly before suddenly putting her hand out for a handshake. "It was nice having you around. It was good not being alone while you were here. It was lonely... being by myself in that room." Giving her a smile, I place my hand in hers, a solid handshake forming between us.

"I know the feeling all too well. Thank you for somewhat taking me in, Rico." I reply back with a small chuckle.

"Take care out there, yeah?" She says, a small smile playing on her lips.

"Of course. I'll see you when we're in Trost next." I pull away giving her a small wave before saddling up my horse. As my back was facing the entrance to the stables, I heard various footsteps grow louder until they sprinted around the corner.

"Y/N!" A voice I hadn't heard since the battle for Trost sounded. I froze, registering what would happen if I turned to face Felix right now. Taking in a deep breath, I slowly turn to face him and the entire squad.

"Yo." I voice neutrally. Felix paced forward, bounding forward making me shrink back against my horse in concern. He frantically pulled me into a hug catching me off guard, cradling my head against his shoulder.

"Just promise me you'll be okay." He whispered making me return the hug.

"Felix I-"

"Promise me." I press my lips into a line, closing my eyes as I bury my face in his shoulder.

"I promise. I can't guarantee I won't come back unharmed but I promise I will come back alive." I voice, giving him a reassuring squeeze. He pulled away, my arms untangling as they dangle at my side again. He looked down at me, a small smile appearing on his face before he reached up and ruffled my hair making me laugh.

"Little shit." He chuckled stepping back allowing Jay, Hayden, Raquel and Ida to all tackle me to the ground, just barely missing Sin.

"Why does everyone do this?!" I exclaim from under the crushing pile. "Get off I can't breathe!" I say in one breath. The two girls groaned as they slowly dispersed leaving me with two grown men tightening their hold around me. I glared down at the two before uttering a ruthless 'off.'