L - Promise

But as he blew out that candle, another one sparked.

***

I woke up the next day, natural light streaming through a slit in the curtains that hung behind Levi's desk. I stretched, raising my arms above my head only for me to freeze mid stretch.

I could raise my arms above my head?

I brought them back down. They definitely still ache, but I was capable of moving in a more vast variety of ways without causing immense pain. I brought my hands above my face as I laid facing the roof, before the puppy came padding onto my chest. I look down, letting out a soft giggle as the fur touched my neck.

"What do I call you, hm?" I ask quietly, not entirely certain on if Levi was still asleep or not. "Something that represents what a trooper you are." I ran my hand through his fur, listening as Levi's bedroom door creaked open.

"Morning." He rasped. I froze at the sound of his voice. He audibly yawned, as he came to lean on the back of the divan I was laying on.

"Morning." I reply, hiding the shock I had gained from the sound of his morning voice.

"How are you feeling?" He asked making me give a somewhat certain nod.

"Better, I don't hurt as much as I did." I reply with a small smile, returning my gaze to the puppy.

"What're you going to name him?" He asked. I pressed my lips together in a thoughtful expression, thinking hard about what I was to call this golden fluff ball for a long time.

"Sergeant." I say. "We'll call him Sarj for short." I looked up at Levi, who stared at the dog in a tempting manner, almost as though he hated the thought of a dog running around Headquarters as though people wasn't enough. But at the same time, a peaking curiosity rose in him.

"Sergeant." He repeated after me, hand reaching down as the fur weaved between his fingers. "Little brat." I observed his face, the eye bags that heavily contrasted with his eyes. His lips were slightly parted as he breathed subtly through his mouth. And his nose was a little red making me furrow my eyebrows.

"How are you feeling?" I ask, frowning at him. His eyes flicked over to mine, body straightening up immediately as if to not make me notice the difference in his facial features.

"Fine." He replied simply, walking behind his desk and opening his curtains.

"Don't lie, you're getting sick aren't you?" I question, watching as his head turned to look over his shoulder and glaring at me.

"I'll manage. I always do." He replies coldly making me press my lips together.

"Do your sicknesses always come with a sour attitude?" I retort, shifting myself upwards slightly as my head hung upside down over the arm of the divan.

"Tch, shut it. Get up, we have a meeting Erwin and some of the 104th." He said walking towards his bedroom door. I raise my eyebrows slightly in question.

"Erwin? The 104th? What're they coming here for?" I ask sitting up carefully and helping the puppy settle back down on the couch.

"The female titan shifter is still on the loose, someone in the 104th has an idea on who it could possibly be." He explained, eyes turning towards me before softening slightly. "Did you need help back to your room?" I shook my head but sent him a smile filled with gratitude.

"No thank you. I'm sure I'll get there without trouble." I reassure. "I'll meet you in the meeting room." I say picking Sarj up and holding him in a stable position in my arms.