XLV - Bound

"Come on, we have an expedition to conquer."

***

Fabric whipping echoed through the air as the new scouts wrapped their wings of freedom cloaks around their shoulders. The low rising sun beaming from over the monstrous wall in front of us. I left the trio to themselves for a bit, tending to my horse.

"There was really no reason for you to come back to Headquarters." Hange giggled as she pranced her way to my side. I scoff sarcastically, turning to look at her.

"Fair point, but my gear was still in my office." I reply back.

"We would've brought it with us, we all knew you were staying Karanes and we all knew we were leaving through here." She reasoned. I shrug, turning back towards my horse.

"Oh well." I say nonchalantly, whipping the reins over Sin's head and resting it on the saddle on his back. "What's done is done."

"Oh I'm so excited! I wonder what type of titans we'll see today!" She exclaimed loudly, her giddiness obvious in her expression. "I want catch two that look similar to Sawney and Beane! And then I'll name them Sawney Junior and Beane Junior!"

"Sawney and Beane?" I ask perplexed, moving to mount my horse. She gasped dramatically, clutching at the fabric of her clothes resting against her chest.

"My children! The ones that were mercilessly murdered a month ago." She pouted at the thought, her bangs framing her face like curtains to a window.

"Oh. The titans." I say unbothered as I look at her blankly.

"Have you no humanity?!" Her gaze shot up and exclaimed at my supposedly inhuman response.

"Y/N." A flat toned voice called to me from across the street. Looking over my shoulder, my eyes instantly find the blue ones that were piercing straight through me. The authority he stared at me with immediately compelled me to unwillingly make my way towards him, sending a sympathetic look to Hange.

"Are you ready?" He asked lightly. I nod, pursing my lips slightly at the thought of this huge responsibility that has been dumped on me. "Stay by Captain Levi's side, regardless of anything. I trust his word more than I trust my own, most times at least." He gives me a gentle smile.

"Though if you feel anything is wrong, you are to inform Levi as soon as humanly possible, and he will send a soldier to inform me." His smile disappeared from his face.

"Yessir." I reply.

All this because of a gut feeling.

"Good to have you back, Y/N." He smiled before turning and walking away. I watched as he walked away, not sure how to react.

For the first time in years, I'm so stressed and concerned it's nearly nauseating.

"Brat." That all too familiar deadpan voice rings through my ears.

"Hm?" I hum in acknowledgement as I turn to face the raven haired man.

"How are you feeling?" He asked, his expressionless eyes boring into mine.

"Do you want me to lie?" I ask, turning fully towards the raven.