XV - Three Souls

"I want to enjoy this before the inevitable."

***

My nerves were on edge as the sun shone above. The silence through the streets seemed louder than usual. I repositioned myself in my saddle slowly, the lack of noise refusing to give me any sort of comfort. I gaze around the area. Scouts all sitting on their horses waiting for the gates in Trost to finally raise so we could finally go to Shiganshina and exit through there.

Every single soldier around was still. No one I recognized was within hearing range, Hange and the trio were near the front a few rows behind Erwin and Shadis. I was unsure where the other three were, but I know that Erwin wanted me to catch up to him while we ride to Maria. The gate raised and suddenly the streets were filled with hooves hitting stone as we set out towards Maria.

I gain speed as we ride further from Rose, heading straight for the front. Gazing at each scouts backs, the wings of freedom greatly contrasted the dark green that colored our cloaks. The wind whipped through them, creeping through the openings in our clothes and lightly caressing our skin.

I pass by Farlan, then Isabel and then Levi but I focused straight ahead, afraid that if I look at them dead on I'll force them to turn around against superiors orders. I eventually gallop passed Hange and finally fell into step with Erwin up front, Shadis a few meters ahead. Erwin gazed at me with a strong determination ignited in his eyes. Giving me a small nod, he turns back to face the front, Maria growing closer and closer by the second.

As we rode through the plains and through the gates that connected Maria to Shiganshina, we slowed our pace a little as we trot through the stone streets.

"Stick with me." Erwin murmurs to me discreetly. I look at him confused. "I want to see how those three do without your help." My eyes widen.

"Are you fucking serious? Is this a joke because it's not funny." I hiss at him glancing around to make sure no one could what words were exchanged.

"Levi has the skills and strength. I believe he's capable of being a weapon to use against the titans." He whispers back. I glare at him in fury.

He wanted to use the trios first ever expedition as a test? Not only that, he wants to make a weapon out of one of them?

"I refuse, let me go with them. Test it some other time, this mission is not an acceptable time." I reason, keeping my calm.

"You will stick with me. That's an order." He deadpans coldly. I bite my tongue in frustration and anger. The stone gate raised slowly and I shift my gaze of rage to the cool stone wall, secretly hoping a hole would burn into it.

"We will now commence the 23rd expedition!" Shadis shouted as his horse reared and took off into the unknown, countless other scouts following after Erwin and I. I create distance between Erwin and I, currently not wanting to be near him at this exact moment.

"Amazing!" I hear Isabel scream over the wind. Finally mustering up the courage to do so, I turn to see the trio looking up at the sun and over the vast lands of titan territory. Isabel and Farlan both smiling widely and Levi looked the most surprised I had seen him since we've met.

"Hey!" I yell. They all look at me. "Eyes forward, and be careful!" They purse their lips and nod before turning to focus on the grassy plains that surrounded us. A few minutes of silence passed before someone screamed about an abnormal heading towards us. I look around, gazing at the creature that hurried towards us, the earth shaking beneath us with every step it took.

Few zips sounded from behind me and I turn wide eyed to see as the trios horses were unmanned. I gaze around the plain, not a single other titan in sight and fight with myself on slowing down. I glance ahead at Erwin who had slowed his pace and was watching how the trio handled their first titan. So of course, I take this opportunity to watch as well, my hands resting on the hilts of my swords in case they need help.