XLII - Memory Graves

And once again, my mind was at ease.

***
~One week later~

My shadow cast over the paperwork laid on the desk in front of me, the sun streaming through the open window behind me. A gentle breeze caressed my skin lightly creating a nice balance of warm and cool. My hand subconsciously flipping a pen between my fingers as I read through an old document with a bored expression.

My head rested on my fist, eyelids fighting to stay open as there was nothing to do.

Until a knock sounded at the door.

"Y/N." A voice sounded from the other side, my expression still unbothered.

"Come in." I call with a slight muffle to my voice due to the placement of my fist.

"Morning, Y/N." Moblit says as he walks in, gesturing a salute as he approached my desk. I look up at him in surprise, wondering what compelled him to do so.

"Morning, Moblit. Why are you saluting?" I ask with furrowed eyebrows as I lift my head from the hand, the pen still flipping around in the opposite one.

"Commander Erwin has requested Section Commander Hange, Captain Miche, Captain Levi, Second in Command Y/N and other squad leaders in the meeting room by midday today. He is on his way here to discuss the formation for the 57th expedition." He informs, completely dodging my question.

"Midday? That's soon, right?" I mumble out loud, turning around to face the window behind me, hoping for some type of indication for the time of day. If my eyesight served correctly, it was nearly midday already.

How long had I been sitting here doing nothing? I haven't even eaten today.

"Thank you, Moblit." I say giving him a grateful nod. Sending me back a small smile, he saw himself out after a subtle goodbye. I leaned on my desk for little longer before pushing myself backwards and falling back against the back of the chair. I heave out a heavy sigh and gaze up at the ceiling thoughtlessly.

I sat there for a while, losing track of time. I hum to myself softly, a meaningless melody with no backstory, no lyrics. Just the vocals of a single individual. I close my eyes, soaking in the fresh air, my lungs filling themselves up before they were so rudely interrupted by yet, another knock at the door. I refuse the groan that threatened to rumble from my throat before answering.

"Come in." I repeat yet again for the second time in walls know how long. My eyes remained closed as the door clicked open, those familiar quiet steps striding evenly into the room as they approached my desk. I heard something make contact with the wooden top, and the slight jingle of metal before all became still.

Few moments passed before I open my eyes and side glance the raven who stood and gazed out the window, a slight vulnerability overcoming him before he realized I was looking at him.

"Eat. You need to look after yourself." He deadpanned unblinkingly. I looked at him, raising an eyebrow slightly as my head still rested against the back of the chair.

"Do you blink?" I ask cheekily. To this, he blinked in surprise, somewhat taken aback by such an unsuspecting question. "Ah, you do." Leaning forward, I drag the tray he had placed down towards me, inspecting the contents of the plate. Scrambled eggs on freshly baked bread and a side of two small strips of bacon. Beside that was a hot cup of black tea and some cutlery.

"I'd assume Moblit has already been to visit you?" He asked looking at the state of my desk. I stab a strip of bacon with my fork with a shrug, taking a bite.

"Yeah, a meeting for the formation. I doubt it's changed much." I say after swallowing the bite.

"Not too much, after Shadis left, Erwin made a few tweaks." He replies, fingers flipping through pages of a book that I had started reading the night prior. He picked it up, reading the first page and raised an eyebrow. "A horror with romance?" He asked, subtly amused, swinging the book around lightly before pressing it back down to the desk.