XXVII - The Fall

Keep that in mind.

L.

***

"The ride here just gets longer and longer everytime I come here." Felix sighs.

Up on the horizon, a sliver of grey was showing in the distance; Wall Maria. It was a beautiful day. Cicadas all throughout the blades of grass that had grown accustomed to the land that spread on either side of the path we now walked. The sun high above the horizon, but not quite noon indicating it was late morning.

I inhale deeply through my nose, making sure I get an intake of every fresh scent there was to smell. The smell of morning dew, damp dirt, the distant but somewhat calming smell of farm animals like horses or cattle.

I sigh in content, happy with the soothing air that flowed around us now, closing my eyes and leaning back in my saddle a little to face the sun. I smile to myself, knowing that with every passing second, I get one step closer to seeing everyone again.

"Yeah, well at least you get a view." I reply, still facing the sun above.

"It gets old after a while." He scoffs making me huff.

"That's why you become a scout dipshit. Sight seeing is better beyond the walls. I could be doing that tomorrow but no, you decided I'm suddenly not capable of keeping myself grounded." I deadpan causing Felix to groan out loud.

"It's not that I don't think you're capable, it's just..." He sighs and looks down at the reins held in his hands, the sound of hooves beating at the ground gently replacing our voices. "Outside the walls are unpredictable." He turns and looks at me.

"You never know what's going to happen." He finishes. I stitch my eyebrows together and purse my lips.

"You're right but that's why we travel in groups. The formation has always gotten the majority of us home. Some were... unfortunately not as lucky as the rest of us." My mind trailed back to the three who I had lost during the last expedition.

Sam, Isabel, Farlan.

Fuck.

"But people have still died in the formation, haven't they?" He pushes.

"More than I can count." I sigh.

"Exactly. You're better off with me in Garrison." He ends.

"I was happier there than I am here." I mutter to myself looking to the right and seeing a tree on a hill. It was pleasing to look at, quite a walk away from the wall. I wonder if it's nice to just lay under the tree, have a nice nap in the grass that acted as a makeshift mattress. A floral scent whirling in the air around me and leaves in the tree branches above allowing peeks of the sun to slip through and kiss my face.

I miss my paradise.

"Cheer up, girly. You have us to protect you from the contagious stupidity your brother holds." Raquel coos in comfort, making me turn to her and laugh.

"Raquel, I swear to the walls if you don't shut up." Felix hissed making the squad laugh. The laughter ceased and I smile to myself warmly before it slowly fell.

I wasn't going to see Hange and Levi tomorrow. I'm disappointed but somewhat happy.

They were going to be safe, the furthest away from the dangers beyond the walls holds. But my concern still stick with Zion and Reece. They aren't as lucky as the others, but I trust in their skill.

They put everything on the line three years ago on our second expedition to save me, I'd like to think they're well off keeping themselves safe.

Hange's edging closer and closer to Section Commander of the Survey Corps and I'm manifesting she gets the spot. As crazy as she can be she's more than fit to lead the role. She's ambitious, encouraging, extremely smart, quick thinking, strong and so much more. She has so much to her personality it sort of gives me whiplash.