XXXVIII - Second In Command

"Let's get you your cup of tea then, you grumpy ball of joy."

***

I trailed behind the raven as he navigated through the halls of Headquarters. The corridors were dead silent so I assumed everyone else must've disappeared back to their quarters for the night. As we waltzed passed the mess hall, muffled words could be heard from the other side indicating Hange was still talking to Eren about her past researches.

"That poor boy." I mumble to myself.

"His own fault. He asked too many questions." Levi reminded making me chuckle dryly.

"I suppose you're right." I reply quietly, following after him as he turned the corner. A few more moments passed before he stopped abruptly in front of a door and disappears through it, following after the motion of the door swinging open.

Walking in after him, his office; as expected, was spotless. A low shelf was behind his desk that was centered in the room, a large fireplace taking up the right side of the wall. A divan type of sofa was situated in front of the fire place with a small coffee table in between. There were potted plants resting on the desk and the windowsill that was exposed due to the curtains remaining open, the view overlooking the forest and in the distance, the wall was visible. On the left was a door leading to what I assume was his bedroom; just like mine and small stands on either side of it holding two potted plants. His office had a nice homey feel to it, the fire was lit too so it was warm. And on a small nightstand beside his desk was the necessities for tea.

"I like what you've done with the place." I compliment admiring the architecture of the fire as I sat on the divan.

"Thank you. The freshness of the plants add a bit of liveliness to the place." He replied back.

"Adds to your personality then, I suppose." I remark looking back at him, a cheeky grin added to emphasize my intentions. He cocked an eyebrow and turned to look at me as he took the time to put the kettle on the embers of the fire.

"What's that supposed to mean?" He asks, a slight narrow adding to his eyes. I waved him off dismissively, turning my face back to the fire that flickered softly on the wood. "So what do you think?" I ask.

"Hm?" He hummed, a relaxed look on his face as he grabbed a bit of wood and put it on the fire.

"What do you think your last name is?" I ask, a small smile on my lips as I gaze at him with a raised eyebrow. He sighed.

"Still going on about this?" He asked, his tone trying to be irritated though it was rather... amused.

"Of course, I did say I'd help." I remind bring my feet up and laying down. My hands rested on my stomach, lips pursed in thought before I gasped at an idea. "Oh god, imagine you're related to someone we know." I laughed as he grimaced at the thought.

"Don't put such repulsive thoughts in my head." He snapped.

"Nah, nah, think about it." I return my gaze back to the ceiling, bringing my hands up in a revealing motion. "Levi Jaeger." I say before bursting into fits of laughter.

"Stop. Don't compare me with that brat." He retorts.

"Wait! What about Levi Smith." I couldn't breathe as the words left my mouth, my laughter echoing through the room as Levi huffed in amusement as he watched me shake with laughter on the sofa. Then an idea popped into my head.