XCV - What He Needs

"My raven haired angel." I whisper, resting my chin on top of his head and I wrap my arms around his shoulders in a short lived embrace.

***

Most of the day went by quickly.

The hours with Levi flew by faster than I'd like, and the faster time went by, the less time we had left before the retake were to finally take place. There were times throughout the day where I parted from Levi for an hour or two just to make sure Hange hadn't killed Eren or the others yet.

The glass eyed brunette demanded we keep Levi away from anywhere that would indicate the squad had left the premises, she and the rest of the kids heading to Trost just after midday to get some lavender oil and whatever else. I made a quick request for chamomile tea, just to add a little extra for Levi's insomnia and to add to his tea collection.

They ventured out, making sure Levi wasn't around and aware that they were all departing for the next few hours, and so I took it upon myself to drag him to the cave for a while. A light snack couldn't hurt, so I grabbed two apples out of the kitchen before I walk through the corridors of Headquarters towards his office.

I ended up stopping in my room to grab my poncho; it was rather cold outside and the rain continued to fall, gracing the lands with an essence to keep nature thriving. Perhaps Levi would decline the invitation for a walk to the cave, but now that I thought about it he never refused a short trip to the cave anyway.

He was stepping out of his room as I turned the corner to his hallway, just closing the door behind him as he looked up and met me in a mutual gaze. His features mellowed, hand letting go of the doorknob as he turned and began walking in my direction. I toss him an apple, eyes watching as he caught it without so much as a blink of an eye.

"Walk with me. Let's go to the cave." I say with a small grin. He lifted his apple up to his shirt, rubbing it against the fabric of his attire for a few moments before taking a bite and wordlessly following after me. It was nearing dusk now, the dimness of the clouds only growing the further the sun descended the horizon.

The walk through Headquarters and through the woods that lead to the cave was quiet. Every few moments, the sound of either Levi or myself taking a bite out of the apples our hands held would often fill the audible void that hung between us. But it was a comforting silence. A silence that didn't need words to fill it, more just the right company to be present. 

I threw the core of my apple into the woods, Levi doing the same before he pulled a handkerchief out of his pocket and began drying his hands from the juice. I raise an eyebrow, head turned in his direction as his face slowly screwed up into disgust before he huffed quietly in defeat and put the cloth away. 

"You forget apple juice sticks?" I ask, facing forward again with a sly smirk. I could practically hear his eyes roll. 

"Tch, ridiculous if you ask me." He replies back, tone matching my own. I suppress a laugh, watching as the cave mouth slowly came into view from between the trees.

"Considering fruit has natural sugars, the fact shouldn't be surprising." I pout in disappointment, casting him a brief glance. "Too bad, I was going to hold your hand in case one of us decided the ground needed a hug." This time I caught him rolling his eyes. 

"Last I checked, you're the one who thought the ground looked like it needed a kiss," his retort only made me laugh softly, ducking under a branch and stepping out just before the cave mouth, where the rain met the ground.