LVI - The Toxicity Of Optimism

tw: brief mentions of miscarriage

Maybe even then, after sealing Rose, Maria could be taken back, and we'd gain back everything we had lost.

***
~Two Hours Later~

"Ah, we're almost in Ehrmich." Hange acknowledges. Lifting my gaze, the towering wall stood looking over us, such an intimidating stone structure with such bland features.

"So this is it for the minister, Y/N and I." Levi voices. "Erwin has decided that all of you will make up an improvised team, understand Armin? Just keep combing your brain with Hange's." The raven gazes at the blonde who nearly flinched at the sound of his name coming from the captains mouth.

"Yes sir." Armin replied back, choking back a stutter that threatened to break his voice.

"Mikasa, use all your skills to protect Eren." I side glanced the raven haired girl, watching as she eyed Levi with determination.

"Yes sir, of course sir." She says, her body nearly tensing at her name.

"I don't know why you're so attached to Eren, but control yourself. Don't mess up again." Levi voices. Her eyes widened, as though she were questioning whether her overprotectiveness was really all that obvious.

"Yes sir. Of course."

***

The streets of Ehrmich were bustling with citizens, not a singular smile could be spotted anywhere we looked. Most people looked like they were struggling to keep their composure, complete and utter terror concrete on their faces. Others looked confused, refusing to even glance in our direction.

Children cried and pleaded for their parents, parents asked questions that just added to the pile of the unanswered. Hange and the others went further up ahead, into a building that lead away from the streets while I was a few steps in front of the Minister and Levi.

"Oi, keeps moving." A deadpan sounded, just as the Minister stumbled into view. "You'll get us left behind."

"T-This is..." Nick's look absorbed the pained expressions of the Ehrmich residents. I proceeded to do the same, feeling their own pain and confusion as though it were my own. I wondered how my parents were doing, if Karanes was in the same state as Ehrmich is. I wonder if my brother and his squad were keeping Trost in order, if they were there as of now.

"Y/N?" I hear a distant feminine voice say, my name coming out as a question. I furrow my eyebrows, gazing perplexed over the many unfamiliar faces that surrounded me. Soon my eyes fell on the raven who looked just confused as I did, tilting my head slightly in response.

"Is it just me or did you hear that too?" I ask. Levi looked at me, eyebrows scrunched up in the same way my own were. He nodded, a silent answer deeming enough of an answer as I continue looking for the owner of the voice.

I soon felt a hand on my shoulder, my arm tensing as a reaction before my head turned to see who it was. I took a moment to take in the piercing green eyes that were nearly an identical shade to one of my soul brothers. Long black hair pulled back into a hasty ponytail that sat at the base of her head and dry lips that looked cracked and sore from dehydration.

"Triz?" I whisper, nearly in complete disbelief. "Are you okay?! Where's your parents, or-or Uri?!" She shook her head, eyes boring into mine.