LXV - When The Night Calls

"I don't doubt it one bit."

***

Hange and I waltzed through the streets, looking at everything and nothing with bags of items in hand. Many items on display in shopping windows, often accompanied by the glare of the late morning sun that peeked between many darkening clouds that brewed above the lands. The brunette somehow managed to wedge her arm around mine, holding it to her side as she gawked at many accessories lining shelves through open doorways.

"Y'know, it's rare for me to be out like this. I hate roaming the streets alone." She admits with a sheepish grin. I look over at her before letting a sharp breath out of my nose.

"I would've never guessed that that would be your reasoning for your lack of going out." I reply with a small smile.

"Well that and because Levi refuses to let me go in public without someone watching over me in case I kidnap someone and return with them. He can barely deal with us, imagine him dealing with a bunch of screaming people demanding we let them go?" She huffed, blowing a strand of hair out of her face.

"Now what could a stranger possibly have to offer that would make you think it's a good idea to kidnap them?" I ask.

"Simple. They're different from me." She beams. I roll my eyes in response, facing forward once again, slow steps edging us closer to headquarters but not fast enough for us to miss sightseeing window displays in shops.

"I'd rather you stick to experimenting on titans-" Hange let out a gasp, her arm tightening around mine.

"Does that mean I get permission to adopt another two titans?!" She exclaimed hopefully, few citizens that were walking passed casting the glass eyed brunette a weird look for her sudden outburst about capturing more titans.

"-outside the walls." I finish, narrowing my eyes on her. She huffed in defeat, not protesting any further. "Let's head back to headquarters, I need to ask Levi if it'd be okay if I can visit my parents while Erwin's on bedrest." I say.

"Aren't you taking him with you?" She questioned. I hum quietly, remembering that he did indeed want to meet my parents. Our conversation on the rooftop that night, a deep one, in that matter, where I had learnt of Levi's fear of the dark. In which he asked hesitantly if he could come with me to Karanes the next time I decided to visit.

"That's only if he wants to. I'd assume being accustomed with the title of captain has its responsibilities." I reply.

"Yeah, well he has to make a decision on who he wants to have on his new squad anyway. He has no one to be the captain of until he chooses the new members and maybe you can help with that." Hange says, eyes roaming over the faces of the people who walked passed us.

"I suppose that's true. But how does one even choose their squad members?" I ask.

"Well looking over files are definitely crucial. Because Shadis, you and other training observers or teachers recorded their improvements, strengths and weaknesses, those words on a piece of paper speak loud enough on their own. Then there was the 57th expedition where most veteran soldiers saw their skills first hand, if Levi witnessed how they fought then maybe he could make some consideration on some of our newcomers from the 104th." She explained, my head raising a little as I gestured my understanding.

"Ah, that makes sense. Well did you see any soldiers that could carry on the name of the Special Ops?" I ask, casting her a curious glance as we slowly approached the large building near the centre of the district. Her eyes wandered the sky, a thoughtfulness filling her features as one corner of her lips was pulled back to display her wonder.