LXXVIII - A Method Of Obtention

tw: graphic depictions of torture and abuse, blood and gore

A liberty that would likely be short lived, given the circumstances.

***

And as the rain met the already dampened soil below, the rush of a raging river at the base of the cliffs beneath our feet, we waited. Hoods up, poorly making any efforts to keep our faces dry from natures tears, small, glistening droplets reflecting the small glimpses of the moon that managed to reach its light out between the darkening still clouds, thick and heavy with rain.

Our ears and minds rung with the overwhelming sounds of water surrounding us, it was nearly capable of causing headaches throughout the squad. But somehow, amongst all the roar of the rain, the rush of the river and everything else in between, my heart beat could still be heard through it all, and my shaky breaths from the sudden drop in temperature only accompanied the pounding of my heart in my throat.

Submerged in darkness with the minimal help from the moon, we sat in silence awaiting the next step of our plan. A cobble path leading from beside the river at the base of the cliffs lead up to the tops, the trail carved into the natural wall. A glowing orange hue finally became visible on the cliff face opposite us after a few of the longest minutes I'd waited in my life, not having a single word exchanged between myself or any of the squad that were spread across the tree line. Shifting in anticipation in my spot up in a tree, secluded from the others, I watch as the light slowly but surely travels across the face of the cliff, soon hearing the faint gallop of horses over the loudness of the rain.

I notice the squad all creep forward in my peripheral, the sound of their swords being unsheathed ever so slightly as they move toward the edge of the cliff cautiously, any sudden movements having the chance of being spotted, even amongst all the darkness and the flickering of torch light that fought against the cool wrath of the downpour.

Lifting myself up to the balls of my feet, perched on the tree branch I had sat idly on for the last however long, I step off the branch, landing briskly into a crouch and hiding amongst the shadows with the rest of the squad. Levi was right, about the rain being able to mask the sounds of our motions with ease, and it was easy to move around to reduce our chances of being caught in the midst of our plans.

The light only got brighter, the sound of incoherent yelling being exchanged over the roar of natures rage still completely inaudible, even as the distance closed between them and the peak of the path they sought out. As I kneeled before the edge of the cliff and peek down at our target, the horse hauling the carriage took too far to the left, dragging the carriage to the side it before a loud bang sounded and the wagon jolted entirely. As half of the carriage lost contact with the path, it only caused the rest of it to tip over with it including the horse, tumbling from the path and hurdling down towards the dangers of the rushing river below. I was quick to leap down, using the cover of the flickering shadows that wrestled with the withering orange lights from the torches.

Upon collision with the water, most of the carriage broke apart and the horse scrambled to reach for any sort of solid foundation it could, the waves of the river sweeping it away from the area. I stared in its direction after landing on a surfaced rock, a wave of guilt only eating at me as my mind replayed the scene over and over again. It's struggled cries that only called out to the night, I could only hope that it stayed surfaced long enough to reach an easier and much more accessible riverbank further down the stream.

Snapping out of it, my hands reached down, pulling away large broken planks of wood that tried to float away with the current, only hoping we had gotten our targets without causing them too much harm, even with a fall at a height like that, it was surely only enough to knock them out and allow us to take them to the cabin that was situated not too far from here. The sound of another pair of anchors shot into the cliff face across the river, far enough away from the group of the Reeves company that squinted and yelled into the darkness in search of their fallen carriage.