VIII - Race Against The Rogue

"But I want Levi and Y/N to race."

***

"What?" I ask, shocked. My eyes turned to look at Levi, hoping to get some type of reaction from him. But his blank demeanor kept its place, not even a sliver of emotion peeking through.

I know it's not a big deal, but after my experience with Levi and his gear? I feel like it's not the best idea to face him while he's fully aware of my coming after him. Besides, I don't think what I've experienced is anywhere near what he's fully capable of.

"You're not afraid, are you?" Flagon asked, tilting his head to the side, a smug smirk coming across his lips. My eyes meet his once again.

"No, I just-uh, thought we were monitoring their current skills. I wasn't expecting to be put on the spot like this." I voice.

I will admit, I am scared. Levi isn't exactly the nicest person. His cold yet calm aura, I know there is much more behind it than we all think. And to think that our shithead captain's initial activity awakened such curiosity in me. Not just towards Levi's past, but I want to know more about all three of them.

"Hmph, if you say so." Flagon shrugs unbothered. "Get into gear, you have ten minutes. Go." He orders. Everyone unhurriedly scatters and heads back to the castle, not worried for the amount of time that Flagon had given us; the time that was slowly ticking down.

I walked by myself, keeping my eyes lowered to the ground. Flagon wants me to race Levi. One things certain, he's unpredictable. Another pair of feet fell into step beside me and I look up to see Isabel with a small smile resting on her face. Her green eyes seemingly more vibrant as her irises appeared more... story telling.

She didn't speak a word, only found comfort in my presence. Now that I had gotten a better look at her, I realized that she really is beautiful. Two more people appeared to my other side and I turn to meet the gaze of Farlan. He smiled down at me warmly before looking up at the sun. His blue eyes seemed to reflect into the air, a slight atmosphere of bright blue forming around his eyes. A slight breeze moved through the air and tousled our hair.

Then I look down at Levi, whose expression was relaxed. The least stoic I have seen him since the capture. Looking closer, and in the right light, his what I thought were blue eyes now gleamed silver. What were once stone cold rocks now revealed liquid lakes of treasure. They let off a sense of relief. Relief for escaping? Relief for finally being on the surface?

Relief for this taste of freedom?

Breaking my gaze from him, I look at the other two once again only to realize that I'm surrounded by some truly beautiful people.

Isabel, a young girl who has a care free personality yet her heart lays in the hands of Farlan and Levi. A girl who has willingly placed her trust in me.

Farlan, a tall bloke whom is slowly warming up to me and has a sliver of trust in me. Incredibly well spoken, is calm and is very good at giving advice.

Levi. Not necessarily the tallest of people, also has a very interesting way of telling people to not make mistakes. He's quiet, collected and once again, unpredictable.

Each of them are mysteries to unpack and I'm willing to be there for them, even if they have unspoken pasts.

We split off in the corridor, Farlan and Levi heading in one direction, Isabel and I in the other. Arriving at our rooms, we open our cases in which our gear resided. We gear up in silence, though, the silence was pleasant. I'm glad that even this far into the friendship with Isabel, no words are needed to be exchanged for us to place a sense of comfort in one another.