LXX - A Brothers Plea

"Immediately, he says. Come on, we have another group of brats to deal with."

***

The two of us rushed to get our things together, palming off the baking to my older brother who already knew he was to take over from us. I dreaded stepping foot outside, the snow thick on the streets, flakes still falling from the sky and adding to whatever cold blanket the earth was forced to embrace. I indulged in the warmth the house kept within, secretly hoping my skin would trap it all in long enough for the trip ahead, knowing full well that'd be too good to become a reality.

So instead, I decided to take my time packing my things, folding shirts and pants with a precision that has no point as I shove it in the bag, joining the other attire that was in there. As I put some warm clothes to the side and the rest of my belongings away, I sigh, changing into my new warmer set of clothes with a frown on my face.

It had barely been a day since we had arrived, and it wasn't nearly enough time for Levi to relax and take a break from military duties like he deserved. Typically I would be grateful for any break at all, but less than twenty four hours wouldn't even be considered a breather for someone like the raven. And yet here we are, travelling eight hours to and from Trost in less than a day, returning to the very place we had sought to escape, even if it was only for a time.

A knock sounded from the partially open door, it swinging open a little but not without a few squeaks sounding from the hinges that connected the door to the frame. My head turned at the sound, Levi's head reluctantly peeking around the corner as he set his eyes on me.

"You ready? We don't have much time." He spoke. I run a hand down my face, gesturing a small, sad nod before slinging the bag over my shoulder and placing the beanie I had set aside on my head.

I walked toward him, passing by him wordlessly and heading for the staircase. As I reached the front door, I hear someone clear their throat behind me, demanding attention. I look at my brother, who soon gestured his head in the opposite direction of the front door. Levi had just set foot on the last step of the staircase, gaze flickering between Felix and I before he worded a simple 'go.'

"I won't be long." I assure the raven, turning to go meet with my brother who stood in the entrance of the living room. Levi strode through the front door, assuming he was going to tend to his horse. Waltzing hesitantly into the room my brother had disappeared into, he was sitting on the couch looking somewhat troubled. I eyed him cautiously, approaching slowly as his eyes met mine.

"I know you're in a rush, but I need to have this talk with you." He voiced with a calmness even I wasn't sure about.

"Fe?" I say, my voice small.

"I was wrong to take you away from the Scouts for all those years." He began.

"Fe, you already apologised for all that-" I interrupt before he held a hand up to hush me.

"The Scouts, for some reason made you happy. I could see it on your face every time you watched them set off on their expeditions, a sense of longing, and it hurt me knowing I was the one who took all that away from you. Your years of hard work, your friends, a family of sorts. You're the most selfless person I know, Sis. You've always put others before yourself, no matter the situation. I couldn't bear losing you to the titans, that had always been one of my biggest fears since you joined the military. When it came to you, many things became things I feared, because you're my baby sister." I struggled to see where he was going with this, but I let him ramble because it really seemed like he needed it.