VI - Good Company

"If we're going to be good friends, I figured we could be roommates." I smile.

***

Because we had gotten back from Stohess near dusk, the scouts were soon dismissed for dinner and bed. But as I lay on my bed chatting away with Isabel, I realized that time really does pass faster when you're in good company.

"Wait, so you're telling me that you're eighteen and look like that?" Isabel exclaimed. I nod in confirmation. "You're stunning, what?" She compliments making me laugh.

"That's twice someone has said that now." I laugh. We laid in the dark just talking. And it felt nice to have someone else's presence in the room. It was lonely staring at the empty bed across the room, and now that I have a friend to occupy it I feel more secure.

"It's good having company here. Especially another girl. My other female friend is kind of crazy, if that's a way to put it." I chuckle lightly, thinking of Hange's titan crazed personality.

"You have got to introduce me to your friends. Except the brunette maybe, mainly because of all that shit he talked." From what I could make out in the dark, she grimaced.

"I'll talk to him later. I just needed a break from him, he gets excessively protective over us." I sigh, gazing back up at the ceiling.

"Tell me about it. I always insist on doing things myself but Levi seems to always find excuses to keep me out of it." She let out an amused huff.

"What's the deal with him anyway? He's constantly angry and that makes me kind of concerned about his mentality." I ask, placing my hands behind my head, awaiting an answer. She stayed silent for a while before I heard her open her mouth to answer.

"I don't know everything about his childhood, but what I do know isn't something I should be telling you without his permission. My advice? Gain his trust and he'll slowly, very slowly, like, painfully slowly let you in." She says. I raise an eyebrow as the silence prolonged itself.

"What about Farlan?" I question.

"He was once part of a gang. Tested Levi at one point, sending a group of criminals after him. Of course, Levi took them all out. Farlan was originally trying to see if Bro was worth recruiting into the gang before he singlehanded wiped them all out. That's all he's told me, he refuses to tell me anything else." She sighed and I chuckle.

"And you?" I ask.

"My growing up wasn't all too eventful. I lived in alleyways majority of my life. Then one day I found a bird. I tried to free it on the surface until some random gatekeepers showed up out of nowhere and threatened me. So I burst into a random house and met Bro and Farlan." She explained. I absorbed every word, admiring each of their childhoods.

"They took me in, taught me everything I know. I've known them for nearly a year now and I'd do anything for them. Say, Y/N, I know we've just met and all but can you promise me something? Please?" She shifts in her bed. I turn my head, meeting her gaze.

"Go ahead." I urge.

"If something were to happen to me, please look after Farlan and Levi. I can't look after them, they're always watching over me but the least I can do to repay them is have someone watch over them." She carefully chose her words. "I know Levi isn't the easiest to warm up to, and I know Farlan has a tendency to be manipulative at times but I assure you, they're both graced souls."

"I was going to defend all of you regardless. But I promise you, if anything were to happen to you though I highly doubt anything will, I will be one of the first people they go to for help." I assure her, to which she smiled lightly before sitting up.