LVIX - In Time, Before Sunset

But of course, comfort is only temporary.

***

~Six hours later, midday~

For a time after my small talk with Levi, I decided to occupy myself in the world of fiction, reading words off pages, vocabulary with the capability of transporting your mind to a different realm. It was like a dream you could read, something you could always go back on. A dream others could borrow, something you could share, exchange opinions on theories or twists in the plot.

The girls dorms, in which I had to share with other women were empty for most of the day, the large room occupied with several bunks thick with silence. I only had myself to talk to, even though if other people were to walk in they'd assume I were insane. Busying my hand with the hem of my shirt as my eyes flicked from word to word, fingers absentmindedly turning pages as all words imprinted themselves in my mind.

I had changed into my uniform, the harness straps all secured into their rightful places, saving time for if the messenger soldier were to fetch for me anytime today.

I laid on the bottom bunk on the far end of the room, still managing to have full view of the corridors outside between the frames of few more leveled cots ahead. Levi had himself occupied, likely cooped up in the captains quarters, busying himself with something more productive than myself. The pastor hadn't left his room ever since we arrived late last night, I'd assume his mind is replaying the events since the fight in Stohess.

Though, I honestly couldn't blame him. People inside the walls never experienced a slaughter like that, and I doubt they anticipated it'd happen any time during their lifetime yet here we are. Even I doubted a lot of things to happen, from capturing rogues from the Underground, to Shiganshina being breached. From that to Trost experiencing that same fate five years later, and not only those, but also the fact that some soldiers in our most recent additions to the military holding titan abilities we didn't even know existed.

A knock sounded on the door of the room, someones face peering into the room in search of a person. I slump down in the bed, hoping to get a better view of who was glancing around the room, a head of maroon hair swaying with the slightest movements.

"Nifa?" I say, her eyes snapping to mine instantly as a grin occupied her face.

"Y/N. I came with letters for you and the Captain. Fan mail, specifically." She says walking into the room, rummaging through her side bag and pulling out a letter. I sit up, legs swinging over the edge of the bed and my back hunched to prevent my head from hitting the slats and frame of the bunk above. Weaving between the beds, she handed me the letter and glanced around the room.

"Fan mail, you say?" I mumble, flipping the paper over and reading the name above the red seal. A crest, one that looked like an eagle, indented into the wax with my name neatly written above it.

"I haven't found the Captain yet, do you know where he is?" The girl asked, averting her gaze from elsewhere to me. I make eye contact with her, letting out a subtle sigh as I stand up.

"I'll take you to him." I reply as I crack the seal of the letter and open it. As I paced through the corridors, eyes reading over each word written with such precision, I silently lead a dawdling Nifa through to the captains quarters where I could only assume that's where Levi remained.

Dear Y/N,

I have been an admirer of yours for quite some time now, always been fond of you ever since I came about your existence. You do not know me personally, nor do I think my name would ring any bell when mentioned, but I recently came of age and my parents require me to wed.