LXVIII - Beauty Of A White Night

Irony truly was something. 

***

A ride such as the one to Karanes was one that held close to no interesting events that would hold ones attention. It was hard to focus on much other than the loud thoughts that pranced throughout your mind. But with Levi joining me on such journey, I found him checking over his shoulder frequently to see if I was okay, only for him to engage in conversation to keep me awake and alert. 

"What am I to expect from this meeting with your parents?" He suddenly asked. His voice only caused me to flinch, the journey thus far was silent up until just after the second village we had passed by. I look at him, slowly processing the question before racking through my thoughts for what my parents actually are like. 

"My mother is, well I'd like to think she is, energetic with a sense of humour. My father is much calmer, and you will often see they have some playful arguments here and there. I say both my brother and I are more similar to our father rather than our mother, but her personality comes out at certain points." I voice evenly, wondering about the people who had created me. "The energy my mother gives off is something I was a little skeptical about the more I thought about your request to visit Karanes with me, since I know the calmer side of things would be much more preferable for you." 

"It's only for a few days, I'll handle it." He says matching my tone. I cast him a small smile, even if he wasn't facing me to see it. 

The gate to Karanes came into view as the light of day slowly died, soft blends of pink and orange skies with purple laced rain heavy clouds gracing the near dusk sky, royal blues and rich violets on the side of the horizon where the sun was furthest away. A soft breeze weaved between us, an unforgiving chill rattling through my bones making me shiver involuntarily. The raven snuck a peek over his shoulder, slowing his pace a little so I could catch up a little. 

"Are you cold?" He asked quietly, slowly drifting his hand toward a jacket he had resting on the saddle behind him. I shook my head, gesturing what one would call a lie. 

"I'll live." I only reply, tone matching his as I pull my own sweatshirt tighter around me, my body having been graced with its warmth temporarily when I had brought it out only minutes before. 

"Take it." Levi says, eyes straight forward with his hand extended out toward me, his jacket in hand. 

"I swear, Lee, I'm fi-" 

"You're a terrible liar, you know that?" He interrupted. 

"What about you?" I ask, reluctantly reaching out and having my hand mutually meet the jacket. He hesitated with his response as I pulled the attire toward me, turning his head away subtly before he emitted very few words. 

"If you're warm then I'll quite happily manage otherwise." He said nearly incoherently. I looked at him, maybe even far longer than normal. His eyes faced forward once more, his features painted with the variety of colours that brightened up the world the clouds allowed the sky to see. His tired eyes reflecting only the most vivid oranges and pinks, he was surreal. He had an ethereal beauty that I can't quite describe, such beauty any sane person would be envious of. 

"Thank you." I mumble looping my arms through the arm holes and shrinking in the material. His jackets always smelt nice, every time one was either offered or forced upon me by him, his scent was always embedded into the fabric. It was a cozy homey smell.