Someone was taken to the Chamber of Secrets

Grace was standing near the staff room, having arranged to meet her father there. The next thing she knew, Harry and Ron were running towards her.

"We've discovered what the monster from the Chamber of Secrets is!" Harry said.

"You did?!" Grace whispered.

And then Harry handed her a crumpled piece of paper. Grace read it aloud.

"Of the many fearsome beasts and monsters that roam our land, there is none more curious or more deadly than the Basilisk, known also as the King of Serpents. This snake, which may reach gigantic size and live many hundreds of years, is born from a chicken's egg, hatched beneath a toad. Its methods of killing are most wondrous, for aside from its deadly and venomous fangs, the Basilisk has a murderous stare, and all who are fixed with the beam of its eye shall suffer instant death. Spiders flee before the Basilisk, for it is their mortal enemy, and the Basilisk flees only from the crowing of the rooster, which is fatal to it." she read it. "A Basilisk! How did you find out?"

"When we were visiting Hermione, we found this piece of paper in her hand." Ron said.

"But none of the victims of the attacks died! How could it be a Basilisk?" Grace asked.

"Nobody died because nobody stared at it. Colin saw the creature through the camera lens. Justin... must have seen the Basilisk through Nearly Headless Nick! And Hermione and the Ravenclaw prefect were found with a mirror next to them. Hermione had just realised that the monster was a Basilisk." Harry said.

"And Mrs. Norris?" Grace whispered.

"She saw the basilisk's reflection in the water coming from the Moaning Myrtle's bathroom!" Harry said.

"But how does a basilisk get around the castle without being seen?" Grace asked.

"Pipes!" Harry answered.

"The entrance to the Chamber! It's in a bathroom! But what... Wait a minute! Moaning Myrtle's bathroom!" Grace said.

"Let's go in the staffroom! We need to tell someone!" Ron said.

The three of them walked in, but the room was still deserted.

Then Prof McGonagall's voice was heard echoing throughout the castle corridors. "All students to return to their House dormitories at once. All teachers return to the staffroom. Immediately, please."

"Not another attack? Not now?" Harry whispered.

"What are we going to do? Go back to the dormitory?" Grace asked.

"No," Harry said, looking around. He found a wardrobe. "In here. Let's hear what it's all about. Then we can tell them what we've found out."

From between the folds of cloaks, they could see the teachers coming into the room. McGonagall was the last.

"It has happened," Minerva told them. "A student has been taken by the monster. Right into the Chamber itself."

"How can you be sure?" Snape asked.

"The Heir of Slytherin," McGonagall said. "left another message. Right underneath the first one. 'Her skeleton will lie in the Chamber forever'"

"Who is it?" Madam Hooch asked. "Which student?"

"Ginny Weasley," Minerva said.

Ron slipped silently to the floor of the wardrobe.

"We shall have to send all the students home tomorrow," Minerva said. "This is the end of Hogwarts. Dumbledore always said..."

The staffroom door opened again, it was Lockhart.

"So sorry — dozed off — what have I missed?"

"Just the man," Snape said. "The very man. A girl has been snatched by the monster, Lockhart. Taken into the Chamber of Secrets itself. Your moment has come at last."

"That's right, Gilderoy," Professor Sprout spoke. "Weren't you saying just last night that you've known all along where the entrance to the Chamber of Secrets is?"

"I — well, I —" Lockhart sputtered.

"Yes, didn't you tell me you were sure you knew what was inside it?" Professor Flitwick spoke.

"D-did I? I don't recall —"

"I certainly remember you saying you were sorry you hadn't had a crack at the monster before Hagrid was arrested," Snape said. "Didn't you say that the whole affair had been bungled, and that you should have been given a free rein from the first?"

"I — I really never — you may have misunderstood —"

"We'll leave it to you, then, Gilderoy," McGonagall said. "Tonight will be an excellent time to do it. We'll make sure everyone's out of your way. You'll be able to tackle the monster all by youself. A free rein at last."

"V-very well," he said. "I'll — I'll be in my office, getting — getting ready." he then left.

"Right," McGonagall spoke. "that's got him out from under our feet. The Heads of Houses should go and inform their students what has happened. Tell them the Hogwarts Express will take them home first thing tomorrow. Will the rest of you please make sure no students have been left outside their dormitories."

Soon after that, in Slytherin Common Room

Snape hurried into the common room, waited for all the students to gather and spoke, Today a student was taken into the Chamber of Secrets, Ginny Weasley from Gryffindor. As a result, you will all be going home tomorrow morning. Before then, I don't want any of you out of the dormitories."

When he looked at the first-year Slytherin students, he realised that Grace wasn't there. He went over to them.

"Where is Grace?" he asked worriedly.

"We don't know. She didn't turn up in the common room. It's been a while..." Astoria informed him.

Snape didn't know what to do, he froze for a few seconds. His daughter was missing.