Basilisk

Harry and Grace were shocked with the revelation. Voldemort was right in front of them. Riddle went on.

"You see?" he whispered. "It was a name I was already using at Hogwarts, to my most intimate friends only, of course. You think I was going to use my filthy Muggle father's name forever? I, in whose veins runs the blood of Salazar Slytherin himself, through my mother's side? I, keep the name of a foul, common Muggle, who abandoned me even before I was born, just because he found out his wife was a witch? No — I fashioned myself a new name, a name I knew wizards everywhere would one day fear to speak, when I had become the greatest sorcerer in the world!"

"You're not," Harry spoke quietly. His voice was full of hatred.

"Not what?" Riddle snapped.

"Not the greatest sorcerer in the world," Harry said. "Sorry to disappoint you and all that, but the greatest wizard in the world is Albus Dumbledore. Everyone says so. Even when you were strong, you didn't dare try and take over at Hogwarts. Dumbledore saw through you when you were at school and he still frightens you now, wherever you're hiding these days —"

Riddle stopped smiling, he now had a very ugly look.

"Dumbledore's been driven out of this castle by the mere memory of me!" he hissed.

"He's not as gone as you might think!" Grace retorted.

Riddle tried to say something, but froze. They began to hear a song, and it got louder and louder. A red bird that had been singing the song appeared. The bird flew straight towards Harry and dropped a parcel it was carrying, then landed on Harry's shoulder.

"That's a phoenix..." Riddle said, glaring at the bird.

"Fawkes?" Harry breathed.

"And that —" Riddle said, now eyeing the thing that Fawkes had dropped. "that's the old school Sorting Hat —"

Riddle began to laugh again.

"This is what Dumbledore sends his defender! A songbird and an old hat! Do you two feel brave, Grace Snape and Harry Potter? Do you feel safe now?"

Grace and Harry stayed silent.

"To business, Harry," Riddle went on. "Twice — in your past, in my future — we have met. And twice I failed to kill you. How did you survive? Tell me everything. The longer you talk, the longer you stay alive."

"No one knows why you lost your powers when you attacked me," Harry said. "I don't know myself. But I know why you couldn't kill me. Because my mother died to save me. My common Muggle-born mother," he added. "She stopped you killing me. And I've seen the real you, I saw you last year. You're a wreck. You're barely alive. That's where all your power got you. You're in hiding. You're ugly, you're foul —"

"So. Your mother died to save you. Yes, that's a powerful countercharm. I can see now... there is nothing special about you, none of you. I wondered, you see. Because there are strange likenesses between us, Harry Potter. Even you must have noticed. Both half-bloods, orphans, raised by Muggles. Probably the only two Parselmouths to come to Hogwarts since the great Slytherin himself. We even look something alike... But after all, it was merely a lucky chance that saved you from me. That's all I wanted to know."

They were still quiet, just listening to Riddle.

"Now, Harry, I'm going to teach you a little lesson. Let's match the powers of Lord Voldemort, Heir of Salazar Slytherin, against famous Harry Potter, and the best weapons Dumbledore can give him..."

Harry and Grace watched Riddle going to the highest pillars in the back of the chamber. Grace then quickly grabbed her wand. "Expelliarmus!"

But Riddle was faster. He was waiting for her to do something. He blocked the spell. "Crucio!" he casted at her. "Stupefy!"