High Inquisitor

They were all in the Great Hall having breakfast. Grace was chatting with her friends when Astoria opened an article from the Daily Prophet and started reading.

MINISTRY SEEKS EDUCATIONAL REFORM DOLORES UMBRIDGE APPOINTED FIRST-EVER "HIGH INQUISITOR"

"Umbridge.... High Inquisitor? What do they mean by that?" Ella asked.

In a surprise move last night the Ministry of Magic passed new legislation giving itself an unprecedented level of control at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.

"The Minister has been growing uneasy about goings-on at Hogwarts for some time," said Junior Assistant to the Minister, Percy Weasley. "He is now responding to concerns voiced by anxious parents, who feel the school may be moving in a direction they do not approve."

"This is not the first time in recent weeks Fudge has used new laws to effect improvements at the Wizarding school. As recently as August 30th Educational Decree Twenty-two was passed, to ensure that, in the event of the current headmaster being unable to provide a candidate for a teaching post, the Ministry should select an appropriate person.

"That's how Dolores Umbridge came to be appointed to the teaching staff at Hogwarts,' said Weasley last night. 'Dumbledore couldn't find anyone, so the Minister put in Umbridge and of course, she's been an immediate success —"

"She's been a WHAT?" Grace said loudly.

"Wait, there's more," Astoria said.

"— an immediate success, totally revolutionizing the teaching of Defense Against the Dark Arts and providing the Minister with on-theground feedback about what's really happening at Hogwarts."

It is this last function that the Ministry has now formalized with the passing of Educational Decree Twenty-three, which creates the new position of 'Hogwarts High Inquisitor.'

"'This is an exciting new phase in the Minister's plan to get to grips with what some are calling the "falling standards" at Hogwarts," said Weasley. "The Inquisitor will have powers to inspect her fellow educators and make sure that they are coming up to scratch. Professor Umbridge has been offered this position in addition to her own teaching post, and we are delighted to say that she has accepted."

"So that's why Umbridge is here. Now it makes sense. Dumbledore would never hire someone like her." Ella said.

After breakfast, Grace was walking back to her dorm when she was stopped by Melia.

"Did you do something to get Susan to come and talk to me?" Melia asked her.

"I asked her cousin to talk to her about you." Grace said hesitantly.

"Thank you so much, Grace. Susan came to see me yesterday right after Divination class. We arranged to go out sometime, probably at the Three Broomsticks."

"I am very happy for you, Melia! I hope you have a good time." Grace said sincerely.

The two were walking when Blaise arrived.

"I won't be a third wheel. I'll meet you two later!" Melia said, walking away.

Grace and Blaise sat down on a bench nearby.

"Are your classes with the old lady as exciting as mine?" Grace asked.

"You meant boring, right? Too boring not to be able to practice any spells. Your brother seems particularly annoyed with her, he keeps getting detentions." Blaise said.

"Harry can be so emotional sometimes. Of course I feel like doing what he does in her classes. But if I did that I'm sure she would have kicked me off the Quidditch team by now."

"Keep it up then, our team can't afford to lose its best player." Blaise said, smiling at her.

The two kissed. But seconds later they were separated by someone else.

Grace, who had passed through this before, immediately went to yell at her father for doing it again, but when she looked up she noticed it wasn't Snape who had separated them.

"Always keep yourselves at a distance of at least one meter." Umbridge said, with a forced smile on her face.