Sirius Black

Harry, Ron, Hermione, and Grace went around Hagrid's cabin without making a noise.

"Please, let's hurry," Hermione whispered. "I can't stand it, I can't bear it..."

The four of them started up the sloping lawn toward the castle. It was getting dark.

Ron stopped dead.

"Oh, please, Ron," Hermione began.

"It's Scabbers — he won't — stay put —"

He was trying to keep Scabbers in his pocket, but the rat was furious. He tried to bite Ron's hand.

"Scabbers, it's me, you idiot, it's Ron," he hissed.

"Oh, Ron, please let's move, they're going to do it!" Grace breathed.

"Okay — Scabbers, stay put —"

They walked forward. Ron stopped one more time.

"I can't hold him — Scabbers, shut up, everyone'll hear us —"

The rat was squealing wildly. There was a jumble of indistinct male voices, coming from Hagrid's cabin, and then, without warning, the unmistakable swish and thud of an axe.

"They did it!" Hermione whispered to Harry. "I'd — don't believe it — they did it!"

The four of them stood transfixed with horror under the Invisibility Cloak. Then, behind them, they heard a wild howling.

"Hagrid," Harry muttered.

Harry was about to turn back and go to Hagrid's cabin, but Ron and Grace seized his arms.

"We can't," Grace spoke. "He'll be in worse trouble if they know we've been to see him..."

Hermione's breathing was shallow and uneven.

"How — could — they?" she choked. "How could they?"

"Come on," Ron said.

They went back to the castle, walking slowly to keep themselves hidden under the cloak.

"Scabbers, keep still," Ron hissed. "What's the matter with you, You stupid rat? Stay still — OUCH! He bit me!"

"Ron, be quiet!" Hermione whispered. "Fudge'll be out here in a minute —"

"He won't — stay — put —"

Sabbers was trying to break free of Ron's grip.

"What's the matter with him?"

Harry and Grace weren't paying attention to Ron, they were looking at a yellow-eyed creature, when it got closer they noticed it was Crookshanks, Hermione's cat.

"Crookshanks!" Hermione moaned. "No, go away, Crookshanks! Go away!"

But the cat was getting closer, he wanted Scabbers.

""Scabbers — NO!"

The rat had slipped between Ron's clutching fingers, hit the ground, and scampered away. Ron had thrown the Invisibility Cloak off himself and pelted away into the darkness.

"Ron!" Hermione moaned.

Harry, Grace, and Hermione ran after Ron, pulling off the cloak.

"Get away from him — get away — Scabbers, come here —"

There was a loud thud.

"Gotcha! Get off, you stinking cat —" Ron said.

Harry, Grace, and Hermione almost fell over Ron, they skidded to a stop right in front of him. He was sprawled on the ground, but Scabbers was back in his pocket.