Prefects

Another year was beginning. In King's Cross Grace had met her friend Luna, with whom she had not spoken for some time. The two of them managed to get the last cabin on the train.

Just then, Harry, Neville and Gina appeared in the cabin. Gina was the one who opened the door.

"Hi, Luna, Grace," Ginny said. "Is it okay if we take these seats?"

Luna and Grace nodded.

"Thanks," Ginny said.

Now everyone was seated and a silence took over the cabin.

"Had a good summer?" Ginny asked Grace and Luna.

"Kinda. I managed to convince my father to go to my friends' house and not to pick on me at Hogwarts." Grace said.

"What about yours, Luna?" Ginny asked.

"Yes, it was quite enjoyable, you know. You're Harry Potter," she added.

"I know I am," Harry said.

Neville chuckled.

"And I don't know who you are."

"I'm nobody," Neville said hurriedly.

"No you're not," Ginny said sharply. "Neville Longbottom — Luna Lovegood. Luna's in mine and Grace's year, but in Ravenclaw."

The five of them continued chatting. A little later someone opened the cabin door.

"Oh... hello, Harry," a nervous voice said.

When Harry saw her, he wiped the lenses of his glasses. It was Cho Chang.

"Oh... hi," he said.

"Um..." she said. "Well... just thought I'd say hello... 'bye then."

It was over an hour before Ron and Hermione entered the cabin. The two of them, as they were prefects, were in a special cabin.

"Well, there are two fifth-year prefects from each House," Hermione said, as she took her seat. "Boy and girl from each."

"And guess who's a Slytherin prefect?" Ron said, with his eyes closed.

"Malfoy," Grace and Harry replied.

"'Course," Ron said bitterly.

"And that complete cow Pansy Parkinson," Hermione said.

"Who's Hufflepuff?" Grace asked.

"Ernie Macmillan and Hannah Abbott," Ron said thickly.

"And Anthony Goldstein and Padma Patil for Ravenclaw," Hermione said.

"You went to the Yule Ball with Padma Patil," Luna spoke.

"Yeah, I know I did," Ron said, looking surprised.

"She didn't enjoy it very much," she informed him. "She doesn't think you treated her very well, because you wouldn't dance with her. I don't think I'd have minded," she added. "I don't like dancing very much."

Luna retreated behind The Quibbler again.

"We're supposed to patrol the corridors every so often," Ron said. "and we can give out punishments if people are misbehaving. I can't wait to get Crabbe and Goyle for something..."

"You're not supposed to abuse your position, Ron!" Hermione said sharply.

Harry noticed that in the newspaper Luna was reading, there was an article about Sirius Black.

"Can I have a look at this?"

She nodded. Harry started reading it.

"Anything good in there?" Ron asked.

"Of course not," Hermione said scathingly. "The Quibbler's rubbish, everyone knows that."

"Excuse me," Luna spoke. "My father's the editor."

"I — oh," Hermione said, looking embarrassed. "Well... it's got some interesting... I mean, it's quite..."

"I'll have it back, thank you," Luna said coldly.

The train arrived in Hogsmeade. Everyone got off. Harry, Grace, Luna, Ron, Hermione and Gina were together.

"What are those things, d'you reckon?" Harry said, looking at nowhere apparently.

"What things?" Grace asked him.

"Those horse —"

"What horses?" Ginny asked.

"The horse things pulling the carriages!" Harry said impatiently.

"What are you talking about?" Ron asked.

"I'm talking about — look!"

Harry grabbed Ron's arm and wheeled him about so that he was face-to-face with the horse he said he could see.

"What am I supposed to be looking at?"

"Can't... can't you see them?" Harry asked.

"Are you feeling all right, Harry?" Grace asked worriedly.

"Shall we get in, then?" Ron said uncertainly.

Everyone got into the carriage.

"It's all right," Luna said. "You're not going mad or anything. I can see them too."

"Can you?" Harry said desperately.

"Oh yes," Luna said. "I've been able to see them ever since my first day here. They've always pulled the carriages. Don't worry. You're just as sane as I am."