Snape, the Headmaster

Like every other year, Grace and the other students put on their uniforms on the train before arriving at Hogwarts. Grace, Ginny, Neville and Luna went together in one of the carriages to the castle.

The four of them separated when they arrived in the Great Hall, each going to their own House table. Grace went to join Melia, Astoria, Ella and Megan.

The atmosphere in the school had never been like this before, gloomy. The students barely spoke, and the few that did, did so in whispers at most. Grace had noticed, both at the station and on the train, and now in the Hall, that there were fewer students than usual.

Of course this would make sense given recent events and the new faculty at the school, but it was now mandatory to study at Hogwarts. The reason for having fewer students was that from now on the Ministry was investigating the witch blood in every family, so muggleborns were no longer accepted at the school.

Dean Thomas, Colin and Dennis Creevey, and many other students did not return to Hogwarts this year.

As usual, before the banquet the Headmaster - who this year was Snape - stood up to say a few things. He didn't even need to ask the students for silence.

"As many of you have already learned, for those of you who are ignorant enough and don't read the newspaper, this year I will take over as Headmaster of Hogwarts..."

Grace had her head down from the moment she entered the Hall, she didn't want to make eye contact with her father.

Megan nudged Grace, who turned her head slightly, not needing to look at her father.

"He keeps looking over here." Megan whispered.

Grace had to overcome her curiosity to see if Severus really didn't take his eyes off the Slytherin table.

"We have a few changes for this year: Muggles Studies has now become a required subject, and Alecto Carrow will be in charge of teaching that class," a red-haired woman all in black got up and quickly sat down. "and the former Defense Against the Dark Arts subject will become the Dark Arts," Whispers were heard among the students. "and Amycus Carrow will teach this class."

It wasn't long before the banquet was served, and for the first time in all Grace's years studying at Hogwarts, the students were mostly quiet. All this time Grace continued with her head down, staring at her plate.

"He still keeps looking over here." Melia observed.

Astoria squeezed Grace's arm as a form of consolation. Grace gave a slight smile to her friend, but soon returned to her serious expression.

The students left the Hall in silence. On the way to the Slytherin Common Room, Grace was stopped by McGonagall.

"Yes, Professor?"

"Professor Snape asked me to call you. He is waiting for you in his office." Minerva said, with a pitying look at Grace.

Her friends glanced at her.

"All right, I'll meet you later." she said, going in the opposite direction of her friends, and walking silently behind the Transfiguration teacher.

When they reached the entrance to the Headmaster's office, the two stopped. Minerva seemed to think to herself about something. She said the password for the entrance, and the gargoyle guarding the entrance began to move.

Before Grace could move and enter, Minerva approached Grace and hugged her.

"Thank you, Professor." Grace said, a tear began falling from her eye.

And then Grace entered the Headmaster's office.

"You wanted to see me, Professor?" Grace said, always with her head down, without making eye contact with her father.

"You know that between you and me I am your father, and not your teacher or headmaster." Severus said.

Grace didn't say anything.

"Sit down."

She sat down facing where he was sitting.

"How was your vacation, dear?"

Grace thought for a moment how she would handle the situation. She held back her tears and replied. "Good ones, as far as possible. But I spent it with the people who really care about me. My brother, the Tonks, and the Weasleys."

Severus seemed to think about what to say.

"I wanted to speak with you-"

She interrupted him. "If all you wanted to know was about my vacation, can I go now? There's no reason to keep talking, after all I'm just a student, like any other student, and you're just the headmaster, you don't need or have the right to meddle in my life, not anymore."

Severus was speechless.

"Okay then." Grace said, getting up and walking away.

For the first time in a long time, Severus was at a loss as to what to say to his daughter. Had she really said all this? He thought he would have preferred it if she had screamed or cried in front of him, but to see his daughter talking to him so coldly, as if he were only her teacher, it broke his heart.

Of course he hadn't expected anything good from this conversation, but he had imagined that, as all these years had proven to him, Grace would handle the situation as Lily would have handled it, as her mother always handled this kind of situation, fighting, screaming for justice. But no, Grace acted exactly as he would have acted in this situation, coldly, without showing any emotion.