The Slug Club

Grace was on the Hogwarts Express, in a compartment with some other Slytherins, and Draco beside her. This year Draco became a Head Boy, but he started disrespecting the rules by not being in the Prefects' carriage as he should.

A third-year girl entered the compartment with two scrolls of parchment, and handed them to Grace and Blaise.

"What is it?" Draco demanded.

"An invitation," said Grace, opening the scroll.

Grace,

I would be delighted if you would join me for a bite of lunch in compartment C.

Sincerely,

Professor H. E. F. Slughorn

"Apparently the new teacher wants to meet you two." Daphne said.

Blaise and Grace looked at each other in confusion. They went to compartment C together.

"Do you have any idea what it could be?" Blaise asked her.

"No. The only thing I know is that he is the new Potions Master." Grace said.

"What about your father? I mean... What about Professor Snape?"

"He will be in charge of teaching Defense Against the Dark Arts this year."

When they got there, the two greeted the professor and sat down at the table. Grace soon saw Ginny, and sat down between her and Blaise.

Shortly after, Harry arrived, along with Neville.

"Harry, m'boy!" said Slughorn. "Good to see you, good to see you! And you must be Mr. Longbottom!"

Grace found it very strange that the new teacher already knew Harry, and even stranger that Neville was with him.

"Now, do you know everyone?" Slughorn asked Harry and Neville. "Blaise Zabini is in your year, of course —"

Little did the professor know that Zabini had once been Grace's boyfriend, so Harry obviously knew him.

"This is Cormac McLaggen, perhaps you've come across each other —? No?"

"—and this is Marcus Belby, I don't know whether —?"

He pointed at the Ravenclaw boy.

Slughorn was introducing everyone except Grace obviously, since he knew about Harry and Grace being siblings.

"— and this charming young lady tells me she knows you!" Slughorn finished.

Now everyone was sat at the table.

"Well now, this is most pleasant," said Slughorn cozily. "A chance to get to know you all a little better. Here, take a napkin. I've packed my own lunch; the trolley, as I remember it, is heavy on licorice wands, and a poor old man's digestive system isn't quite up to such things...Pheasant, Belby?"

Belby started and accepted what looked like half a cold pheasant.

"I was just telling young Marcus here that I had the pleasure of teaching his Uncle Damocles," Slughorn told Harry and Neville.

The professor was quite nice and unlike Snape in almost everything.

"Now, you, Cormac," said Slughorn. "I happen to know you see a lot of your Uncle Tiberius, because he has a rather splendid picture of the two of you hunting nogtails in, I think, Norfolk?"

As Slughorn talked, Grace noticed how each one seemed to have been invited because they had some famous or influential relative. All except Ginny. Blaise was the son of a witch famous for her beauty.