Getting into the tunnel

After pushing Lockhart out, the three of them jumped into the pipe. They landed on a damp floor, where Lockhart was already standing.

"We must be miles under the school," Grace spoke, her voice echoed in the tunnel.

"Under the lake, probably," Ron said.

"Lumos!" Harry and Grace muttered to their wands. "C'mon," Harry told Grace, Ron, and Lockhart.

"Remember," Harry spoke again. "any sign of movement, close your eyes right away..."

The four of them walked through the tunnel.

"Harry — there's something up there —" Ron said, grabbing Harry's shoulder.

All you could see was the outline of a huge thing lying across the tunnel. It didn't move.

"Maybe it's asleep," Grace breathed.

Lockhart covered his eyes with his hands. Harry and Grace slowly moved forward with their wands raised. When they saw it, it was a giant snakeskin, about 6 metres long.

"Blimey," Ron said, weakly.

They heard a noise behind them. Lockhart, frightened, was kneeling on the ground.

"Get up," Ron said, pointing his wand at him.

The professor stood up and quickly threw himself at Ron, causing him to fall. Harry and Grace tried to hold Lockhart back, but it was too late. He was already holding Ron's wand.

"The adventure ends here, kids!" Lockhart said. "I shall take a bit of this skin back up to the school, tell them I was too late to save the girl, and that you two tragically lost your minds at the sight of her mangled body — say good-bye to your memories!" he pointed Ron's wand at Ron. "Obliviate!"

The wand exploded with the force of a small bomb. Harry and Grace raised their arms and ran, but slipped on the snake's skin. Several pieces of the tunnel fell to the ground and the next moment Harry and Grace were separated from Ron and Lockhart by a wall formed by the destruction.

"Ron!" Harry shouted. "Are you okay? Ron!"

"I'm here!" his voice was muffled. "I'm okay — this git's not, though — he got blasted by the wand —"

Grace looked up at the ceiling, it was cracked. It wasn't safe to cast a spell.

"Wait there," Harry told him. "Wait with Lockhart. I'll go on... If I'm not back in an hour..."

"None of that! I'm coming along! No more thinking I'm defenceless or anything like that! I know even more spells than you!" Grace said.

"Alright..." Harry murmured.

"I'll try and shift some of this rock," Ron said. "So you two can — can get back through. And, Harry —"

"We'll see you in a bit," Harry said.

And so Harry and Grace walked on, silently. When they reached the end of the tunnel, there was a wall with two intertwined snakes carved in stone.

"How can we get in?" Grace asked her brother.

Harry didn't even answer, he already knew what to do. He spoke in Parseltongue. The walls parted and the snakes moved away. The two of them entered.