Second year

Just like last year, Severus left Grace at the platform and went to Hogwarts. Now Grace walked through the wall between platforms 9 and 10 without fear. She then met Ginny.

"Hello, Ginny!" Grace said, greeting her friend.

"Hello, Grace! Let's go in, I want to make sure there's an empty compartment." Ginny said.

The two got on the train and looked for an empty compartment. They entered one, coincidentally the compartment next to the one where Harry, Ron and Hermione were sitting. They got in and sat down. Shortly afterwards, their friends passed the compartment.

"Hello, Grace! Can we sit here too?" Megan asked.

"Hi, Megan! Of course!" Grace said. "Girls, this is Ginny Weasley, Ginny, you've already met Astoria and Ella, this is Megan Avery and Melia Rosier."

Ginny was a little apprehensive when Grace revealed the other two girls' surnames.

"There's no need to be afraid. We're not our parents." Megan said.

They all sat. "So this year we'll be able to join the Quidditch team. Are you going to try out?" Melia asked.

"I'm definitely going. I got more confident during the holidays, I practised flying on a broom more. Madam Hooch had already told me I could sign up for this year." Grace said. "What about you?"

"I don't think so. Draco is already an excellent seeker. They wouldn't be looking for someone else to replace him." Astoria said.

"Me neither. If I want to be a keeper, I don't think I will be until next year. I'm too small to be a batter, they wouldn't even take me on the team." Megan said. "What about you, Ginny?"

"I think I'd be a chaser... But I won't try to get in this year." Ginny replied.

The train stopped suddenly. Everything started to get dark, gloomy and cold. The girls couldn't see a thing.

"What's going on?" Ella asked.

A sound could be heard coming from outside the train.

"I think someone's trying to get in the train." Grace said quietly.

After a few seconds, they began to hear a strange noise coming through the corridor. It stopped at the compartment on the other side. Harry's compartment. The thing opened the compartment door and a scream was heard, then, suddenly, a flash of light.

The Sorting had just happened, and now Dumbledore was about to say a few things.

"Welcome!" Dumbledore said. "Welcome to another year at Hogwarts! I have a few things to say to you all, and as one of them is very serious, I think it best to get it out of the way before you become befuddled by our excellent feast... As you will all be aware after their search of the Hogwarts Express, our school is presently playing host to some of the Dementors of Azkaban, who are here on Ministry of Magic business."

He paused. "They are stationed at every entrance to the grounds," he continued. "and while they are with us, I must make it plain that nobody is to leave school without permission. Dementors are not to be fooled by tricks or disguises — or even Invisibility Cloaks," Grace noticed Harry and Ron glancing at each other. "It is not in the nature of a Dementor to understand pleading or excuses. I therefore warn each and every one of you to give them no reason to harm you. I look to the prefects, and our new Head Boy and Girl, to make sure that no student runs afoul of the Dementors,"

"On a happier note," Dumbledore went on. "I am pleased to welcome two new teachers to our ranks this year. First, Professor Lupin, who has kindly consented to fill the post of Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher."

The students applauded.

"I hope the teacher is good this year! Last year was a disaster." Grace said to her friends.

"As to our second new appointment," Dumbledore continued. "Well, I am sorry to tell you that Professor Kettleburn, our Care of Magical Creatures teacher, retired at the end of last year in order to enjoy more time with his remaining limbs. However, I am delighted to say that his place will be filled by none other than Rubeus Hagrid, who has agreed to take on this teaching job in addition to his gamekeeping duties. Well, I think that's everything of importance. Let the feast begin!"

The banquet appeared on the tables and everyone ate. Dinner over, the students went to their dormitories. Grace was feeling that this year was going to be unforgettable.