Chapter 2

(I know that the whole intrusion and death of Ras happened when Damian was 10 but for the stories sake I'm going to make them 12)

"Here is your legacy Damian, here is your inheritance, the league of assassins" Ras spoke observing the assassins train from our place upon the Balcony. I stood beside Damian watching while Thalia and my mother were stood behind us.

"yes grandfather" damian nodded having accepted his future as the demons head. "They will be yours to command to make sure the earth abides a natural contentment without the abuse of man" Ras continued.

"And with Amara by your side I have no doubt that you will be great successors" Damian turned to me and I flashed him a small smile. It was odd knowing that when we turn 18 we were to be wed and have to take over this entire organization. Damian and I though had come to terms with it realizing that there was no one we trusted more than each other.

A sudden bang and a groan was heard as we all turned around to see that Dusan Al Ghul (Ras' son) had been shot. Thalia, Ras and my mother had surrounded Damian and I, "we have been breached, they are already inside take the children!" Ras commanded.

We quickly made our way down the roof and hid behind a pillar as our warriors began to fight the intruders. "Stay here" Mom instructed us as her and Thalia had ran out into battle. I watched my mother pull out her bow and arrow and shoot down one of the pilots. Thalia made her way up to the roof tops where she used a mounted gun to kill anyone in her way.

One of the attackers made his way towards us but was killed before he got too close, Damian laid his eyes on a gun darting for it before running out onto the battlefield "Damian!" I groaned, for once could he not just do as he's told.

I ran after him picking up a sword off the floor, "RIP Jamal" I whispered quietly to the dead body before running off to fight.

I had made my way around killing one by one but I had lost sight of Damian, I watched as a ball of flame fell to the ground. My heart dropped realizing it was Ras "Grandfather?" I watched as he barely moved, his skin torn and charred from being burnt alive, my eyes made their way up to slade "Uncle Slade? How could you do this?! you're going to pay for what you did to him!" Angry tears pooled in my eyes as I charged at him.

Matching blow for blow I managed to knock him into a wall, not long after Damian had joined us "So you're Thalia's little bastard" Slade smirked as Damian charged at him as we both surrounded him while also protecting Ras. Damian had stabbed Slades eye with his sword just before he threw smoke bombs clouding us in a black fog.

I gasped when I felt a sword push through my chest, my knees buckle as I fell to the ground. Tears flooded my eyes as I coughed out blood. "Mari!" Damian cried out making his way to my side.

"I'm sorry" I croaked out a sad smile on my face, "no I'll get you to the pit you'll be fine" I shook my head at him "Please don't, you know I never wanted to use the pit, If I die, I'll die knowing I was protecting you and grandfather" I coughed and spat some more blood out. "Where's your cordial? It can heal you" he looked around.

"You know why we can't use it" I smiled sadly at him and held his hand.

"God this feels worse than the poison ivy" I cracked a joke but he wouldn't smile "come on I don't want the last thing I see is you frowning, come on smile for me" tears fell down his face as he put on a small smile. It suddenly was getting harder to breathe "Hey I love you alright" he held my hand tighter "I love you too Mari" and suddenly his lips were on mine.

"I'll be right back I promise" he whispered as he ran off with his sword, there I laid alone in what I thought to be my final moments, a few feet away from the man I looked up to. Not knowing where my mother was or if she was even alive.

I heard another explosion and Damians yells I tried to pick myself up to find him but I was too weak and eventually my body gave in.

I woke up to a burning sensation as life forced its way back into my body, my lungs burned as the green liquid made its way out of my system.

My head spun as I tried to place myself, after a few minutes I got myself to focus and found my mother waiting for me.

She helped me out of the pit, and that's where I saw him, his burnt, stiff corpse laying just outside the pit.

"He chose to save you over himself" mom brought me out of my thoughts.

"He should've saved himself I was better off dead than he is" Amara muttered.

The pit could only be used by one person at a time at risk of their bodies fighting for the resurrection leading to only one being able to survive.

"We must hurry, you're not safe here" she grabbed my hand a pulled me along a small tunnel as explosions went off.

"Where's Damian?" I asked her "I don't know, last I saw he was going after Slade and then he and Thalia disappeared" he didn't come back. My chest burned for a second at the thought.

"Where are we going?" I questioned her as we made our way to the dock. "You're no longer safe here you'll be staying with someone I trust in America okay, he'll take care of you" another explosion went off as she put me into the small boat and handed me a bag. "Go my brave girl. I'll hold them off as long as I can" she kissed my head before cutting the rope that tied the boat to the dock.

I watched her pull her sword out as I drifted further into the ocean. I watched as they surrounded her, I watched as she fought for her life, I watched as she screamed in pain when they stabbed her side, I watched as they covered her. I watched as she was taken, I watched as the woman who raised me gave herself up for me.