Chapter 3

Anything in italics is the characters speaking in Urdu.

I gasped as I woke up, sweat trailing down my forehead, I looked around the small room.

The last thing I remembered was being on the boat, a woman came into the room not noticing me clearly panicking and confused as hell.

"Um excuse me? Could you tell me where I am?" I asked her and her eyes widened before she ran out yelling "she isn't dead!" Well I was dead for a couple of hours.

And elderly woman came in this time "what your name?" She asked "Amara, could you tell me where I am?" I asked her, staring into her kind aged eyes.

Eyes were the best judge of character, my mom taught me that the eyes give away emotions, feelings, desires and it isn't hard to figure out what kind of a person they are based off of that.

"You in Pakistan" her English wasn't the best so I spoke to her in Urdu.

"How did I get here?" She looked stunned for a second before she started replying.

"We found you on a boat, you looked hurt and tired, so we took you in and nursed you back to health, we have long waited until the day you would wake up" she explained "how long have I been asleep?" She looked almost nervous to say.

"4 months" my eyes widened "kya?(what?)" I stood up then quickly fell down due to not having walked for so long.

"I need to get home" I told her and she nodded "where is your home I'll tell my son to drop you off" I almost laughed at her innocence.

"I need to go to America, I have to find someone they're supposed to take care of me" she nodded.

"Tickets very expensive, you stay with me, you get better and we save money I'll pay and get you home beta(dear)" she pinched my cheek before standing up.

"Sonia! Make Roti guest is awake!" She laughed at her own English.

I ended up staying with Nani(granny) for another month. She was so kind and loving, as if she were my actual grandmother.

She liked to think of herself as a modern Daadi (grandma), but she was strict when she wanted to be.

I was underage so I wasn't allowed to take the plane to America alone, so she was sending me with her son Amir who lived in Central city and had come to visit his mother during the summer.

It was now July my birthday had gone by during my long ass nap and I was now 13.

The tickets had finally been booked and in a weeks time I'd be on the plane. I was given my bag 3 weeks ago, all it contained was some clothes, a burner phone, a note and my healing cordial. It had been weeks but I couldn't bring myself to look inside.

Sniffing and wiping my tears onto my sleeve I reached into the bag left with me. I opened the note "please don't be cryptic" I muttered to myself.

Dear Amara,
I had hoped you'd be able to meet him under better circumstances however right now that doesn't seem possible. Call this number xxx-xxxxx-xxxxx
Tell him my name and then yours, he'll give you an address, go there and stay with him. He'll protect you until I find you again.

Mama loves you.

Inside the bag was a small burner phone I called the number "go for Jim"

"Um hi? My mom told me to call you" I told him "and who's your mom kid?" I mentally slapped myself for not telling him first.

"Nadia? Nadia Alexeyeva?" I told him and he sounded like he was choking, "Nadia? wait Mari is that you?" He asked and my brows furrowed.

"Do I know you sir?" I questioned him "no sorry you don't" he muttered quietly sounding upset.

"Then please call me Amara, my mom gave me your number and said to call you and that you'd look after me until she finds me again so..." Amara trailed off not knowing how to ask 'where'd you live and how soon can I move in?'

"Where are you I'll come get you" he told me. "My whereabouts right now are not important" I answered.

"I thought you were in the Himalayas" How did he know that? "yes well I'm not anymore, listen I'm getting a plane to America next week, I'll land in central city airport, will you pick me up or should I make my own way to your home?" I asked watching Nani motion asking who was on the phone.

"I'll pick you up from the airport send me your flight details and I'll be there" he told me talking a few more details before hanging up.

I saw a picture on the back of the note it was a photo of mom, a man with red hair, a little girl with red hair and a baby, on the back of the note it read 'Jim, Nadia, Barbie, Mari'. What kind of a name is Barbie?

I looked at the man observing him, how did my mom know him?

"Who was on the phone?" Nani asked "my relative they're going to pick me up from the airport when the plane lands" i told her. She would've flipped if I told her it was a stranger I had never met before was who I'd be living with.

"I'm gonna miss you" I hugged the older woman, "don't cry beta, you better call when you go there or else I'll come there and smack you with my shoe" she joked, helping me stand up fixing the dupata(headscarf) on my head before we went to have dinner.

Wayne manor
Dick and Barbara were laying around just chilling with each other until Barbara gets a text from her dad.

"No" she groaned into Dicks pillow from her spot on his bed. "What's up?" Dick asked as he did contortions on the floor.

"My dad wants me to go with him all the way to central to pick some girl up from the airport and she's going to be sharing a room with me" she whined.

"Hey at least you'll have someone around the house" he offered and she rolled her eyes at him.

"You curse your brothers out almost everyday" she deadpanned "well they're all idiots and none of us have had the best 'first impression' considering each one came to replace the one before" he said using finger quotes.

"You know what, you're right It'll be nice have a girl around and who knows she might actually believe me when I tell her that you slipped and broke your knee" she joked sticking her leg out watching Dick fall laughing as he ran after chasing her.