Chapter 53

Damian sat in the hospital room while Amara's upper arms were re-bandaged. "I missed you April" she grinned at the nurse she befriended on her last stay.

"I thought you told me you were never coming back here" April teased. Amara motioned to her arms "I just woke up here" she raised her half wrapped arms in surrender.

"And who's he?" Amara noticed her hinting at Damian who hadn't taken his eyes off her the second she entered the hospital. "Someone special" Amara smiled.

"Well your special someone has not left that chair once in the 6 hours you've been here" Amara's jaw dropped "I've been here 6 hours?"

"Honey you were asleep for 5" April shook her head at the girl. "Is my dad here?" April nodded, "he just left to get something to eat and the rest of your family is in the waiting area, I can call them if you like?" Amara was confused on what she meant but nodded nonetheless.

April finished up and left the room. The second she left Damian stood up and sat beside her, "how are you feeling Habibiti?" He brushed her hair behind her ear. "Is Bruce and Natalie okay?" She asked immediately, "father has a cut on his head and Natalie has a cast, they said you did a really good job with her she may have bled out if you hadn't treated her" a smile grew on Amara's face.

"I'm okay" she finally answered seeing his worry building up. "These will heal and scar and I'll have a cool story to tell in the future" she wrapped her arms around his neck.

"How did I get these scars? Oh nothing just stopping a burning building from collapsing" she waved her hand but winced slightly.

"That was dangerous" Amara's eyes met Damian's, "it was reckless, you know you don't have much control and that your powers exert your natural energy. I'm saying this because I care, yes you did an amazing job and I'm proud of you but it could have been a lot worse, I could have lost you" he pulled her closer to him careful not to hurt her. "I'm sorry" was all she said knowing it had no affect on him. He didn't want her apology he wanted her understanding of what could've been.

"I talked to Bruce" she pulled away from him, "father told me" Damian smirked "he said you yelled at him and it frightened him a little" Amara never felt that much pride and joy than she did in that moment. "I scared Batman?" She whispered to which Damian nodded smirking, "apparently you do".

A knock interrupted them, the two turned their heads to the door "I found a group of lost boys" her dad told her holding a couple of coffees.

4 dark haired boys stepped in following them were 3 girls, the oldest rushing to her side. "Don't you dare do that to me again! What is with you trying to give me a heart attack!" Barbara scolded her the second she got beside her. "No need for it B, Damian already gave me the 'you're a walking heart attack risk' lecture."

"Oh"

She then noticed the present in their hands, "did you guys bring gifts?" She laughed finding it hilarious watching Tim and Jason hold a life sized teddy.

"I have coffee who wants one?" Gordon told them. Tim dropping the teddy in favour of his blood source.

Amara got discharged a couple hours later, Damian insisted he stayed the night to make sure she was okay and after much begging and persuading on her side her father finally agreed, the boys smirking that Damian managed to get on to Gordon's good books.

It was around midnight, thankfully he had been excused from patrol, the two laid asleep in Amara's bed. A pillow put in between them by Amara's father.

Damian's eyes snapped open when he heard the window click, he instantly snapped up holding a knife towards the intruder.