Chapter 36

Amara met Damian at sunny side diner, he was already waiting in the booth by the time she arrived.

She took the seat opposite him, ordering a set of waffles and a water. Damian was aggressively typing on his phone before he pushed it to the side giving her his attention.

"So I actually wanted to talk about a couple of things..." she cleared her throat finding this a lot harder than she thought it would be.

"I want you to know that I love you and I always will, but we've been having a lot of problems recently and I know we're okay now but how long until our next fight?" Damian stared at her puzzled he had no clue where this was coming from and he was dreading where the end of this talk was heading.

"Habibiti I love you, I don't want to fight with you it's just that some things are hard right now" he tried to explain.

"I know — it's just that... it's not enough for me anymore. I can't sit here and wait for you to finally decide whether you want to be with me or not. I'm a person not an option - so you need to decide either by today or tomorrow but I can't wait anymore." She avoided looking into his eyes knowing she would take back everything she planned to say.

"You want me to choose?" The two stayed silent as the waitress placed their food in front of them thanking her they sat in silence for a couple of minutes.

"I don't want to make you choose but I need to know whether this" she motioned between them, "is worth it"

She asked one of the waiters to pack her food up for her, "I care about you and I'm sorry for putting you in this position but I really need to know your answer" she placed a kiss on his cheek before taking her to go bag and leaving the small diner.

Damian sat there staring at his pancakes, the urge to eat was gone and he had a sudden distaste in his mouth. His jaw was clenched and he felt sadness trying to peak through his anger.

He couldn't leave his family, but she was also his family, how do you choose between people you love and are in love with?

It wasn't an easy decision and the fact he had almost no time to decide was making it way harder. It scared him that this could be the end of their relationship but by this point there was barely a relationship to hold on to.

His family loved Amara but would they hate him for choosing her over them? And Amara, if he chose his family would he lose everything he had with her?

————
Amara was sat on the roof of her apartment, not many people came up here so it was peaceful and a great place for her to eat her waffles and think.

Was she too hard on Damian? Was she really going to be that problematic girlfriend who came between him and his family. It wasn't like she told him to leave his family, all she said was to just spend more time on their relationship. But didn't the fact that their relationship couldn't last with them being apart from each other mean something? It's not like they were in different countries like before but come on!

What if he hated her now? How could he make that decision? But then again he can't just continue treating her like her feelings weren't valid and then get mad when she acted the same as he did.

"You know if you try hard enough maybe they'll set on fire" Tim laughed as he leaned against the door. It was then she realized she had been glaring at her food for the last 10 minutes frowning when she felt they were cold now. She shrugged it wasn't like she was going to not eat them.

Tim moved to stand closer "Don't let the door-" Amara sighed as the door slammed shut "-close dang it Timothy" she glared at the so called 'smartest' who just smiled sheepishly in return.

He sat beside her grabbing a waffle out of the container and taking a bite out of it. "So how you been?" Amara looked at him skeptically, she gave his brother an ultimatum an hour ago and he was suddenly here during the day to check up on her rather than his nightly visits.

There was no way Damian would tell Tim first out of everyone but Tim was smart, she could never tell when he had an underlying motive despite how easy it is to get the truth out of him.

"Great, I really needed that time away" she mumbled taking a bite of her own waffle. "Good to hear, so..." he looked around before pulling up his sleeve and typing a couple things into his wristwatch.

A hologram projected showing a machine she was unfamiliar with, "what is it?" She asked noticing the different parts and the notes he had made so far.

"No clue but I was hoping with you being the little engineer you are, you and I could find out together?" She turned to Tim confused, "won't Bruce get mad you came to me?"

Tim laughed "all he said was figure it out he didn't say I couldn't get help" Amara shook her heads

"loopholes, but that doesn't mean he won't be pissed when he finds out." She was contemplating it in her head it had been a while since her and Tim teamed up on a project. "We'll just have to make sure he doesn't find out" Amara nodded "well that means we need to make sure Damian doesn't find out".

The two made plans to meet in one of Jason's safe houses, he was one of the only ones he didn't have a problem with going against Bruce and occasionally he would admit he carried a soft spot for the girl as well as the demon.

He could faintly remember the conversations he had with her when he was locked up at nanda parbat when he was first revived and she was a child.

————
Damian dreaded the decision he had to make, he was supposed to meet Amara back at the diner at lunch time tomorrow, how was he going to decide.

"I can't believe she's making me do this, I can't believe I pushed her to this? I need someone to blame and it can't be me and it can't be her" he started to throw things trying relieve his frustrations, after a while he sat down on the edge of his bed.

He liked it better when he didn't have all these emotions clouding his judgement. He needed to think, he pushed his feelings aside and did as Nadia told him to when he was younger.

"Breathe level your head and an answer will come to you" he allowed himself to relax his body laying more peaceful on his bed. He laid out the facts and weighed out the pros and cons of going through with either option. He would still have his family if he chose to spend more time on his relationship. He could potentially lose Amara completely if he chose something he'll always have.

He was interrupted by a knock on the door, "who is it?" He questioned slightly annoyed for interrupting his thoughts.

The door opened revealing his father, Damian sat up respectfully as his father took a seat on the bed beside him. "Damian my son, I know I've been hard on you recently and you may feel as though I am against you, but I do what I do to make sure you are safe, I'm looking into the future and it will take a lot of work to maintain two separate lives but I know you'll be able to do it. I'm proud of you son and I hope you will continue to make me proud" Damian stared at his father.

How did he know to come in here at this exact moment and say the one thing he had been longing to hear for years? Right when he was making the one decision that would change everything?

"Thank you father" he offered him one of his rare smiles and watched as he left the room. This was going to be harder than he thought.