Chapter 5

It had been weird staying with the Gordon's, Jim was trying way too hard to try and talk to me and Barbara always looked as if she was hiding something I mean we all have secrets at least do a better job at hiding it.

The sneaking around, quiet phone calls, random emergencies and not to mention the sneaking out at night when she thought I was asleep. I'd been tempted to follow her but I actually really like the few hours of sleep I get.

I wouldn't say she hadn't tried to get to know me, she'd been asking to take me out for a couple of days now and once I realized she didn't mean fight to the death I was too embarrassed to deny.

That's how I made it to my first carnival. I hate it. Barbara had brought along her friend, a tall dark haired stranger with electric blue eyes. He was good looking I'll admit but he seemed too energetic for someone who'd spend their time on rides made for children.

"Amara this is Dick Grayson" Barbara introduced "that's a rude name to call someone" I shook my head at her until she burst out laughing I turned to her friend looking confused "that's my name, well it's Richard Grayson but I prefer Dick" I nodded my head "why would anyone prefer to be insulted?" I mumbled to myself but it seems Barbara heard and burst into another fit of giggles.

We spent the day going on amusement rides and playing some games, I had managed to win a huge stuffed dragon which I called 'Goliath' after our baby dragon we left back home.

I wish I could've shared this with Damian or at least have him suffer through this quickly. I've been trying to find him for weeks but I've had no luck especially with Barbara sticking her head over my shoulder every 5 minutes. It's not like I can just tell her who he is to me because it wouldn't make sense without me telling her my whole past.

How am I supposed to tell her that he is my best friend, we were raised together within a cult who murder people for the supposed greater good and we were also supposed to get married and lead this cult until I had babies who'd take over us once they become of age. They'd actually try to get me to go to therapy and I went once it was part of a mission and boy did I scar him.

"Hey Amara try some" I turned to see Richard, honestly what kind of a name is Dick? He held out a pink fluffy puff on a stick.

"Looks like sugar" I assessed it a bit longer before breaking a small piece and trying it "Tastes like sugar" I scrunched my face at the sweet taste.

Up in the mountains we didn't really get to have sugar, I'll be honest we never had sugar except for the small treats my mother would occasionally get for us.

"She reminds me of someone, doesn't she remind you of someone?" Dick blurted out turning to Barbara who shrugged enjoying her own cloud of sugar.

My mind went back to Damian once again, his mother wasn't the most caring person and if Damian hadn't been born then the league would've gone to her, I mean for all I know she could've killed him.

"Hey what's wrong?" Barbara asked putting a hand on my shoulder I flinched at the touch slightly "nothing just thought about an old friend" I sent her a smile both of us knowing it was forced.

She finally let us go home and Dick had dropped us off saying that he had a family matter to attend to. A couple minutes later Barbara said she had an emergency and that she had to go which led me to be standing in front of a house in central city.

I somehow fell asleep on the car ride here and I swear I was only a sleep for a couple of minutes.

"I'll pick you up tomorrow night I'm so sorry, they're very nice people and very close friends of mine. Be nice and don't make them cry please" she rushed a hug on me and left me to the strangers.