Chapter 18

Today was Nadia's funeral, Amara couldn't really see the point considering that they were going to bury an empty casket.

She stared at the mirror already wearing her black dress the dull weather adding to her sadness. Was it ever sunny at a funeral?

A knock at the door brought her out of her thoughts, "hi honey" Jim walked in, he and Amara had grown a lot closer since Nadia's death, it had only taken them 2 years to build a relationship but they finally got there.

"Are you going to be okay today?" She asked as he stood beside her "shouldn't I be asking you that?" He laughed, "we both know I'm the adult between the two of us" she joked.

"You look so much like your mother" he admired stroking her hair, the only bit she had gotten from her father was her eye shape, other than that she was completely Nadia.

"I get that a lot" the two shared a rare smile before they made their way down to the car, the rain started to pour harder as if it knew what was happening today.

Amara slowly stepped out of the car umbrella in hand and made it to where the others were already gathered, she looked around for the familiar green eyed boy until she felt a hand slip into hers.

He ducked under her umbrella, his hair slightly dripping from the run he had made over to her. They had promised each other that no matter how hard it was for them today, they were going to stay together.

A couple feet away stood Jon, he was already emotional and he didn't even get to meet Nadia, but according to him, someone who could make both Damian and her cry was someone extraordinary.

She gently laid her head on his shoulder "why are we doing this?" She mumbled, "we need closure, they think this is how we're going to get it" he shrugged.

"Dad wants me to say a few words.." She looked around searching the familiar faces. "Just don't think about it, let it come to you, you'll know what to say" She sighed again, She'd been doing that a lot lately, She would get this heavy feeling in her chest and it felt like it was pushing her down.

The priest started talking a few words, everyone stood there sullenly, Her and damian were muttering to each other not really paying attention until her name was called.

She slowly made her way to the stand, And looked between everyone, her eyes landed on Jim, Barbara, Damian and She couldn't help but to think about her, how her mother could never be apart of the amazing thing they had now.

"My mama wouldn't have wanted this, she wouldn't have wanted people to cry, I remember.." she stopped to sniffle a little, "when we were little, we had a friend, and he.. uh we were really close to him. Loved him as if he was one of us" she started.

Tim turned to Damian "is she talking about ducky?" Damian smiled for once "when isn't she talking about ducky?" The two shared a rare smile before turning back to the grieving girl.

"Unfortunately when he died, I was heartbroken, we both were" she pointed between herself and Damian. "But mama said that we shouldn't be sad for too long, because if we're sad then we're letting that pain overtake us. What we should be doing is accept it, understand that it's happened and it can't be changed and to move on." With each word it was like her emotions started to hit her more and more.

"Moving on doesn't mean forgetting, it means remembering what once was, what will be and how even if they're not physically with you they'll always be with you" she ended pointing to her chest. Her eyes had once again made their way to the crowd trying to calm down until she noticed a group of slightly familiar people, she decided she'd go up to them later, she was doing good so far, she had no clue where these words were coming from but everyone looked moved so she went along with it.