Chapter 65

Amara sighed as she laid awake for the 3rd night this week.

She rolled over trying to force herself asleep yet failed for the 10th time. Her mind was too awake too focused for her to be able to rest, so she just stared at her ceiling. Her plain white ceiling, the longer she stared the more it started to remind her of things. Things she didn't want to think about. Her breathing became heavy as her stare hardened, her eyes unable to stray from the ceiling.

She didn't realize her wheezing until her father was shaking at her arm "Amara? What's wrong?" He looked at her in concern. Her eyes weren't straying from the ceiling, he looked up not being able to see what would make her react like this.

He helped her sit up and when he shook her shoulders she finally looked at him with tears in her eyes. "What happened?"

Amara shook her head unable to tell him, if she told him then she would have to tell him everything and she knew he wouldn't understand. "I can't tell you" she cried. "I'm your dad you can tell me anything" he assured her holding her close yet she still kept shaking her head her whole body was trembling.

Gordon hadn't a clue what was happening but the his first thought was to cover up her ceiling. So he quickly ran out the room not willing to leave her alone for too long. He grabbed a couple of bin bags and some tape, he did his best to cover up as much as he could. It didn't help Amara who's head was now buried into her knees.

"What to do? What to do?" He pulled out his phone and called Barbara "dad? What's wrong?" Barbara's tired voice came through the phone.

"I need you to call the Wayne boy and have him come over now" he told her urgently as Amara's eyes were glaring at the poorly covered ceiling.

"Dad it's the middle of the night.." Barbara tried to reason knowing fully well he may be on patrol at the moment. "He's the only one who can calm her down just call him" Barbara realized what might have been happening for her father to willingly allow Damian to be in their house this late at night so she quickly called the boy.

Damian quickly changed out of his uniform before he climbed through Amara's bedroom window. Gordon just looked at him before stepping aside so he could see Amara.

Damian was instantly by her side, he kept mind of the watchful gaze of his girlfriends father before trying to calm her down. He unlike her father didn't wrap his arms around her knowing it would make her feel trapped he opened up the window so there would be some fresh air.

He carefully lifted her up and brought her to the living room which thankfully had dark blue walls. He set her on the couch before beginning to whisper quietly "I need you to focus on my voice okay? Can you do that Mari?" He could faintly feel her nod against him. "Hush now quiet now it's time to lay your sleepy head, hush now quiet now it's time to go to bed" he began to sing her mothers lullaby in its original Arabic.

Amara laid against his chest her eyes shut as she focused on the words. Her hands slowly unclenched his now wrinkled shirt, as she calmed herself down. "I'm sorry I don't know what happened, you're supposed to be on patrol" she quickly apologized.

"I'm here for you okay?"

He felt her nod slowly against him as her body slowly relaxed allowing herself a moments rest knowing she was safe in his arms. Damian laid her down carefully covering her with a blanket before making his way to the kitchen where Gordon was waiting.

"Is she okay?" He asked holding a cup of coffee. "She's been through a lot it was only a matter of time before things caught up to her" Damian told him trying to explain without having to go deeper, truth be told Damian didn't even know himself.