Chapter 42

"If there was one thing I missed it was celebratory pizza after a good take down" Amara cheered taking a bite.

"So when did you decide you wanted to do this kinda thing again?" Tim asked leaning back on his hands.

"I was gonna bail, but I'm on Hoods private story and he posted him and jester before they went in" she pulled out her phone.

"And you know my rule about 15 mins or less" they all nodded understanding "Um no what rule?" Vivian asked, "oh it's kinda judge-mental, she says if you can't finish a job in 15 mins or less, then you probably failed 5 minutes into it" Tim explained rolling his eyes.

"You mess up once and now you're suddenly an example" Nightwing whined.

"Which was totally not the case!" Jason argued, "weren't you tied up when I got there?" Amara asked reaching for another slice.

Two pairs of footsteps landed on the roof, each of their heads turning to meet Batman and Robin.

Batman stalked towards Siren who had a carefree expression on her face, "I see you're back in operation Siren" Amara spared him a split second glance continuing to eat her pizza, the others silently watching the interaction.

"Yeah so?" Batman was slightly taken back by her blatant disrespect, the girl he knew wouldn't dare talk to someone of higher authority like that.

"Been a while hasn't it bats" Batman grunted "You can't parade in my city if you don't follow my rules" he told her and now Amara stood up to face him, "I'll continue to be Siren following my own rules, end of the day the goal is to save lives and if you have problem with that then you can say so" she began walking backwards.

"Nope? Didn't think so, see you around bats" she glared at "robin" before falling back off the building taking in the freedom that is falling.

Eventually she used her grapple gun before she hit the ground.

Amara made it home climbing in through her window, shutting it before she took her shoes off "hey B what are you doing in here?" She asked her sister who was hiding in the shadows of her room.

"I'm just wondering why you didn't tell me you were gonna go back out there" she shrugged "why? So you could go and tell Batman" she snapped back, pausing when she saw the hurt expression "I'm sorry I know you wouldn't".

Barbara stood up and walked closer to her "I would've loved to see you in action again, I knew how alone you were while I went out on patrol" she pulled the younger girl into a hug.

"I just want to see you happy" Amara nodded against her shoulder "I want to be happy too".

—————
"I got the tacos!" Amara announced entering the safe house. She set down her keys and made her way to the makeshift lab.

"Soft or crunchy?" He questioned from his computer, "both obviously" she walked up to him taking a look at what they have gathered so far.

"We've got basic physical properties figured out, parts and stuff, but I think this might have a more psychological effect on the user" Tim told her accepting the taco she gave him.

"Like a mind control device? That sorta thing would need some sort of pulsing rhythmic sound, flashing light, or a combination of them, to alter the frequency of the user's brainwaves, making them susceptible to brain washing" she observed the machine a little while longer, until she found something "a blinker, and this looks like a computer that could give commands, but we can't be sure until we use it" the two ran a couple of tests.

"So did Batman tell you when he wanted this done by?" Amara asked Tim whilst she wrote her notes. Tim stayed quiet, "Tim?" He started to look nervous, "Timothy..."