Chapter 27

A few days later Amara got a visit from her favorite red head, Jason Todd.

"Hey kid" he stood awkwardly at the door as if not knowing what to do. "Hi Jason" he winced at the name, though not fond of calling people by anything other than their name. There were a few exceptions Amara made and he was one of them but now that she was calling him by his actual name he knew she was mad. And getting Amara mad was one thing, but earning her forgiveness way harder than one can imagine.

"Sorry for not coming by sooner" he sat down dropping the flowers and the chocolates he brought with him on the bed.

Amara painfully leaned forward with the fresh stitches she had on her other side after an incident with a wheel chair. Let's just say she got bored after being forced to lay down for a while.

"Does it still hurt?" Amara shook her head "no that doesn't hurt as much, I've just obtained other injuries while being here - let's just say I'm no longer welcome to explore the hospital" the two shared a laugh "that's my girl".

"How are things at home?" Jason grimaced at the thought, "not good" he watched her face fall "I mean I thought I was bad but the way you're looking, you're about step 3 out 5 of becoming the Arkham knight in Jason's life from living to dead to living" Amara tilted her head at him confused.

"What's step 1-3?" Jason leaned back "step one, being added to Batfamily, step two being forced into a team, step three having an unreconcilable argument with Bruce and leaving" he paused for a second "actually you've already died once right?" Amara nodded agreeing.

"Dude you're on step four! You're like a step away from going on your murderous rampage" Jason grinned excited, "just one teeny tiny problem" she held her fingers close together to emphasize her point.

"I don't kill anymore, I'm not completely sold on being the Arkham Knight, but the murderous rampage does sound nice" the two shared a smile at their joke. "I'm pretty sure I can sway you" she hated to admit it but the past couple days she couldn't help but think what it would be like if she played for the other side, she knew she'd made a great villain, she had a couple monologues and the tragic back story already lined up but the thought of terrorizing innocent people and having to fight against the family that abandoned her was enough to pull it out of her mind.

Amara smiled to herself looking appreciative at Jason, "thanks for coming to see me Jay, you're like the brother I've always wanted" Jason paused and hesitantly wrapped his arms around the younger girl, "going soft on me Todd?" she asked jokingly, "no I just wanted to know what it felt like to have the power of literally squeezing the air out of you" he pulled back a faint red hue running along his cheeks, "you know I think of you like my little sister right?" he scratched the back of his neck. "I know Jay"

Jason sent her one last awkward smile before he finally left the room, guilt gnawing at him with what he had to do.

——————
After much pleading and begging and insisting she was fine, Amara was finally released from the hospital.

"Mama?" She was greeted by her mother at the entrance. "How are you habibiti (my love)?"

"I'm fine, but what are you doing here? The league-" Nadia cut her daughter off "they can survive a few days alone so I could make sure my daughter is alright" she smiled.

"Now where's Damian? I can only stay till the end of the week and I would like to see him too, maybe we could invite his family for dinner" Amara cringed at the fact that she would have to tell her mother about the petty drama currently happening between the families.

Amara turned to look at Barbara for help but the red head was nowhere to be found. "Actually mama, I don't think that would be possible" Nadia turned to her daughter confused.

"And why won't it be possible?" Amara suddenly turned nervous as embarrassment flood through her even if her mother was asking a reasonable question.

"The thing is... well you see-" she stuttered "Amara you know I do not appreciate stalling" Amara sighed mentally scolding herself, "As of this time... Damian and I are not able to see eachother" Nadia looked amused "and when will you be able to see eachother?"

"See eachother? I meant spend time together, be seen together and or be around each other" she quickly rushed out, Nadia's amusement slowly turned into confusion. "Are you two no longer seeing each other?"

"No we are but-" Nadia cut her off again "and did you choose to stay away from eachother?" She asked, "well not exactly-" Nadia held a hand up to silence her daughter.

"What you have told me is that you both are still together, you are not choosing to stay apart yet you have too, who is forcing you to stay away from each other?"

Amara suddenly started praying, she may be mad at Bruce but she didn't wish death upon him, and if her mother ever found out someone was upsetting her children, she would rain down hell on that poor soul. Back in the league she actually killed someone for upsetting her. Granted that she wanted him to die when he had taken ducky from her too.

"I don't want to say" she did her best to avoid eye contact knowing she would crack as soon as her mother sent her 'the look', all mothers have it, assassins or not, demigod or not, all mothers have the striking ability to make their children spill all the secrets they had, even the ones they didn't have.

"Amara Sofia Gordon" Nadia snapped. "I have a middle name? And it's Sofia?" Nadia looked at her daughter like she'd grown two heads, "I assumed you had seen your birth certificate since you've lived with your father" Amara shook her head.

"That is a conversation for another time, now tell me who is the cause for your sadness?" She stroked her hair and cupped her face like she had done whenever she was troubled as a child.

"It's his father, he thinks I'm influencing them negatively, and has not so kindly told me to back off so Damian won't fall back to his assassin ways" she looked sadly at her mom, wanting comfort that she could give, and advice that would help her.

Her mother stood silently observing her daughter and when she finally moved Amara thought she was getting a hug but instead her mother took hold of her hand and began pulling her to the car.

"Where are we going?" Amara questioned trying to keep up with her mother. "To that rich assholes house" Amaras eyes widened at that. "To do what?" She prayed nobody died today, she'd been embarrassed enough by them.

"I'll be giving that rich narcissist a piece of my mind, who does he think he is to talk to you like that? You will be with the boys because the things I'll be saying won't be something appropriate for you to hear" Amara spluttered, "you can't- he's made his feelings very clear on the matter" Nadia just patted her daughters head "leave it to me, mama will fix it" Amara held her hand "isn't this something I should fix? I can't have you storm in there and demand for me to be let back in, imagine how that would look. Instead of proving I've changed I'd be bribed back in." She took a second to think of a decent enough excuse to stir her mother away from going. "You always talk about how we should earn our place and not just be given it" it was something she always heard growing up which was why she didn't like being handed things, she felt the need to earn them herself.

If she didn't train hard enough in the league the punishment was no dinner. If she had accomplished something then that would be celebrated. It was a 'give' and 'take' situation, where you could not to do one without the other.

"Fine" Nadia relented, "I have full faith you two will be reunited again" Amara muttered out quietly "God I hope so"