Chapter 48 - Files?

***This chap is kinda violent near the end so please read at your own risk! If you're not okay with that stuff than please just skip over this chap completely!! There's nothing extremely important so if you skip over this it's no biggy to understand what happens after this point. The title of the chap really says all for understanding later.**

Chapter 48 - Files?

Tris

I can only focus on the pain in my leg as well as how my head pounds and my chest hurts to breathe.

I honestly don't know how much more of this I can take.

'Stay strong for them. They will be in your place if you give up.' I continuelessly tell myself over and over again in my head.

"Tris? Can you hear me? Are your ears okay? Can you talk?" Cara asks in a soothing tone.

My ears are totally fine, as well my lips. But I don't want her or anyone to get hurt by caring about me. David has made his point clear. I am keeping her, everyone else and myself safe by not saying anything. I just stay dull faced; staring at the wall. It's much easier also because even the slightest movement causes my head to pound more and my leg to have searing pain from all places; especially the bullet lodged in my ankle.

The lights are still out, leaving the cement room all pitch black; so dark that I probably couldn't even see my hand if it was right infront of my face. I know it's Cara talking because I recognize her voice and it is coming from her cell.

I close my eyes quickly when I hear the slightest sound of footsteps coming from the left.

I never had noticed until this experience how well of hearing I had.

I guess I could say it's a mixed blessing.

The hearing part is good... But I had to be here to find out about it.

I still jump when the door to my left slams open and the lights dim the slightest bit.

I swear they get a little bit darker every day.

I hear David's clunky, separated footsteps come into the room and walk down the hallway. They stop infront of my cell.

"Good morning there, Beatrice." He says, a smirk clear in his voice.

"Let me just tell you that you are one heck of a terrible actor. Excuse me, actress." He remarks, a smirk clear in his voice still. I keep my eyes closed anyway.

Maybe he will just go away.

Maybe I can get one day of a break.

Just maybe I will be spared for one day.

That's all I ask for.

One day.

Of course, not all dreams come true.

I hear his keys jingle as he probably fishes through them to find the one he wants.

I hear the key go into the slot and the click it makes when it's open. The door opens with a screechy cry of its old age.

The footsteps walk into my cell, then stop right in front of me. I feel like I can feel the heat from his shoes radiating off of him and onto me.

It makes me sick.

I continue to keep my eyes closed; not tightly, but peacefully, as if I'm sleeping. Although I have to resist the urge to tighten up and clench all my muscles in fear, I stay relaxed.

Yeah right. I haven't slept in... Who knows how long. Both him and I know that I am definitely not sleeping right now.

His foot connects with the middle of my left calf hard and I let out a screech as my eyes unintentionally fly open and my hands clench to fists. The pain becomes searing as it feels like my leg is on fire. Pain shoots up and down from my knee down to my toes. I clench my eyes shut tightly to try and block out the pain.