Chapter 30 - Painful Love

Tris

I never actually go unconscious... I just lay there looking straight ahead at the wall. I hear my mother's screams, I hear my brother's yelling for someone to help, I hear my father try to soothe my mother and I hear Cara, she's the only one actually talking to me. I feel her hand stroking my hand, whispering reassurances to me. I focus on her voice. It's the only thing keeping me alive right now... Or at least awake.

I hear her murmur to me something about not falling alseep, to stay with her, and she won't stop thanking me in between all of that. Her voice sounds like it's muffled, like she has tape over her mouth, or I have cotton in my ears. Either way I can't really make out what she saying.

I start to shake when I hear a scream that belongs to my mother. My mind isn't strong enough to function what's actually happening...it's like it doesn't process any pain, or noise, or vision, or any of my senses, except for my sence of smell. I can clearly smell blood all around me. I can see fine too, but I can't move my eyes. It's like you're just glued on the wall across through me. My leg his go on almost numb, or at least I think it has... Maybe my whole body is going numb. I really cannot tell. The only thing I can actually feel Cara's hand stroking mine in a calming and relaxing way. It's really hard to not fall asleep, I'm fighting with all the energy I have left not to. I'm determined not to fall asleep.

I will not fall asleep.

I.
Will.
Not.
Fall.
Asleep.

Andrew

All of this is happening too fast.

David basically beats Tris so much that she's more dead than alive.

David tries to shoot Cara.

Tris sacrifices herself and gets shot three times instead of Cara.

Natalie's water breaks from all of the commotion.

"Deep breaths, Natalie. Focus on my breathing and have it match yours. Come on. It's okay. You can do it." I encourage my wife.

I don't care if it's my baby or his, I still love her and the baby she's carrying. That will never change.

"IT HURTS!" She sobs. "I can't do this. I can't do this. I CAN NOT DO THIS!" She screams in pain.

"Yes you can." I try to keep my voice calm for her sake. "Your doing fine. You'll be okay. Just keep doing deep breaths."

She finally matches her breathing to mine. She eventually calms down as the contraction ends and rests her head on the bars and just looks at the floor.

"Stay with me Tris. Thank you so much. Don't fall asleep please. Stay awake. Thank you so much. Stay with me." I hear Cara murmur to Tris stroking her hand over and over again; the trail of her tears going down her cheeks faster by the second.

My daughter is so selfless, so brave. Just like her mother.

Cara

I have no words.

She just sacrificed herself for me and my daughter.

I just met her again for the first time like a week ago and she offers to die for me.

Being in this situation I know one thing:

Don't let her fall asleep.

Yet again, if we were actually in a hospital right now, we could hook her up to a heart monitor, get the bullets out of her leg, wrap her leg tightly to get her blood to clot and restart her heart if needed.