Chapter 56 - Watch and Wait

Tobias

I continue on with my every Saturday morning routine: I sleep as long as Indy will let me, then I get up, feed him, feed me, watch the news, get dressed and take Indy out for a walk around the compound because it's almost always empty on Saturday mornings due to the late nights everyone had the night before.

Just as I walk out the door with Indy on his leash, the loudspeaker over the whole compound comes on. I stop in my tracks and Indy looks up at me.

I thought those didn't work anymore... I guess I was wrong.

"Good morning all Dauntless members!" I recognize through the crackling of the loudspeaker as Josh's uneasy voice. "Sorry for the announcement so early this morning, but this is necessary. First off, we need all people that work in the Main Building to come down as soon as possible to the Main Building. That includes all Leaders, Ambassadors, Control Room people and Fence Guards if you are currently here. Then second, we need all people, Dauntless members to meet in the Pit at eleven this morning for a required meeting. The only people with an excuse are if you are in the Infirmary or have a card from the Infirmary that implies you not able to do so. So, eleven a.m., all Dauntless members in the Pit, and if you usually come to Main Building meetings, then get down here like right now, thank you."

I quickly turn around and unlock my apartment front door again.

"Sorry bud. Can't walk you this morning. Gotta go. Be good now." I guide him into the house and don't even unclip his leash from his collar.

I just close the door and run, more like sprint to the Main Building dodging the few people that are and about through the halls this morning yelling "Excuse me!" or "Sorry!" as I run around them.

On an average morning it usually takes eight minutes to get to the Main Building.

This morning I get there in three.

I run straight through the stone archway which marks the entrance to the Main Building and see that about a dozen people, I recognize them from various jobs are already here. I make my way through the crowd and up toward Josh at the head of the room. It seems like this meeting won't be taking place in the meeting room, or else I would've thought we would been in there already.

I finally get up to him and see that the expression on his face matches the tone of voice he had on the loudspeaker a few minutes ago; nervousness.

"Wha--" he cuts me off before I can speak.

"This is happening. Two weeks from today. We can't waste any more time then we have. Erudite called today and found traces of poisonus chemicals and other things that whoever is in that building have plan on making. They found an order on a computer in that building that is suppose to end up at the Bureau of Genetic Welfare two weeks from today. Erudite investigated and found out that the poison won't kill right away, but it will cause a long and painful death. They also added the poison to certain people's files and too a list and... Beatrice Prior was on that list, Four." He looks toward the ground at the last part. "Infact, she was the only one on that list."

I can't seem to get my lips to speak. I want to scream, but my lips don't move. I want to run but my feet stay put.

It's like I'm in a sim.

But this is no sim.

This is reality.

"We are recruiting a squad of Dauntless today for the rescue. Hopefully we will get a good number, but whatever we get will be sent no matter how big or how small. We have to get them out of there. They may only have her on the list right now, but I'm more than positive that that list will grow if nothing happens except, well, if she makes it. Then they may try something else and the cycle repeats. Erudite has connections now and has an exact area on where this place is. They also can provide a lot of trucks and vans for us for equipment and rescuing people. All that's left is people and planning, but we still need people most."