Chapter 35 - Bad Luck

Evelyn

When the clock finally hits eleven that night I finally gave up waiting for Tobias to call. He's probably extremely busy doing stuff in Erudite.

I just hope that he is okay.

I really have no clue why he had to go on such short notice...

That's what worries me the most.

Because if they are sending those people to Erudite on such short notice. Whatever is wrong must be really bad and needs to be fixed immediately; meaning it could be dangerous.

I never asked him why he had to go; I just told him to call me when/ if he could. Nor did he ever explain why.

I'm sure he's fine; just busy.

"Come on Indy. Time for bed." I call.

He barks and jumps up on the couch. I reach down and scratch behind his ear.

He is getting pretty big now. Considering that he wasn't the smallest when I got him for Tobias, and that he has grown a lot in the past month. He's going to get even bigger too.

Worst of all... My couch is almost covered in dog hair. I figured that as long as he didn't keep me up at night, let him have the couch. I'll just vacuum it once he leaves.

"Good night." I say walking toward my bedroom.

He yawns in responce.

As I had guessed Holly is asleep on the foot my bed. On top of my covers actually.

"Come here you silly girl." I say picking her up so I can pull down the covers and get in.

She makes almost a groaning meow sound in responce. I laugh and pet her head.

Still holding the cat, I get in the bed and pull the covers over me. Then I put Holly back at the foot of my bed back where she was before I had woken her up.

"Good night." I say stroking her ear then laying down and falling into a deep sleep.

*   *   *

I jump when I wake up to my phone ringing.

What the heck?

First I look over at my clock.

It's one in the morning!

I roll back over and try to go to bed, but then I think

Maybe it's Tobias.

In attempt to catch the call before it goes to the answering machiene, I jump out of bed and run to the kitchen where the house phone is kept.

Sure enough the caller ID says

-Four-

"Hello?" I croak from my voice not being awake.

"Mom. I'm sorry. I probably woke you up didn't I."

"Oh. It's fine. Don't worry about it. I'm just glad you called."

"I wanted to call now because I have my work cut out for me and I have no extra time, so I just wanted to call while I have the chance now. I would have called earlier, but I just got back to the room now."

"Okay. That's fine. What exactly are you in Erudite for?"

He tells me all about Caleb Prior's death and how they are investigating stuff and a building outside the fence. How he's sharing a mini apartment with Zeke, how the other leader that went pisses him off, and a whole bunch of other stuff.