Chapter 1 - Chicago Today

Tobias

Lots has changed in Chicago these three years.

We can come and go from the city as we please.

The Divergents are now honored and have their own faction, but within other factions.

They are more like a group of leaders that run Chicago together.

They are trusted to run the government because they aren't just from one faction, they come from everywhere and aren't going to do what's best for their faction, because they're more than one.

The factions themselves have stayed the same but with some changed...

Aptitude tests are still given, but there is no influence to go to where it says you should; it's just to give you an idea of where you belong and to have knowledge of their Divergents.

Teenagers can choose to take a 'class' otherwise known as initiation and try to get into a different faction at the age of 16, and can take initiation for as many different factions as they would like no matter their age.

Because of this, sometimes I'm training people that want to join Dauntless that are in their mid twenties.

But initiation isn't as rough, because if you cannot pass initiation, you can choose a different faction and go to initiation there, or go home where you came from.

There is no such thing as being factionless. You can't be. If worst comes to worst, and you fail initiation in every faction, then your faction that your born in will take you in. No initiation needed. It's just how it works.

But people like my mother, Evelyn, can join a faction with just some simple paperwork if they're to old for initiation, or if they have family in that faction.

She currently lives in an apartment in the same hallway as mine in the Dauntless compound.

I still continue to work in the control room, also a part-time leader of Dauntless because I'm Divergent and I'm an initiation trainer sometimes depending on if they need me.

People are always asking me how I am;

Zeke

Christina

My mother

Amar

And sometimes random people I don't even know.

I always shrug it off and reply that I'm just "Okay."

But even they know that that's a lie. Many nights I cry myself to sleep, just to wake up and continue to sob.

Everyone else has moved on from the death they've experienced, or at least they're better at hiding it than me.

Zeke on Uriah.

Christina on Will.

George on Tori.

Shauna on Lynn.

Christina may be the only one that actually understands me, because of how close her and Tris were.

But even she doesn't walk around like me, wishing that I could change the past.

I know I should move on.

I know she would want me to move on.

But I just can't.

Some people have begun to believe that I've gone crazy and am depressed.

I know this because I've heard their murmurs about me.

Most of them are about the "Legendary Four" never being seen so weak.