~Epilogue~

In a perfect world none of this would've happened.

But this isn't a perfect world,

And this did happen.

Eight bullets, all to her left leg.

A terrible knife scratch down the right side of her jaw line.

It was terrible to witness,

The second I showed up into that room; breaking the door off of its hinges; found from the cries of her screams.

I clicked a bullet into my gun chamber as soon as I saw his face, but he reacted before I did, a steak knife sinking into her left leg as she screams a blood curling scream while he pushes it deeper.

It took me a few seconds to actually shoot; the bullet sinking into his head and him falling over almost instantly followed by her screams dying down and almost her taking a sigh of relief.

I took a step towards her.

It wasn't until she saw me, then made eye contact with me with a terrifying look in her eyes and scampered into the corner of the room.

It wasn't until that happened that I finally thought of how broken she would be after all of this.

I should've reacted sooner,

Maybe then she wouldn't be in this situation now if I had.

Maybe if I had protected her way back in the Bureau three and a half, almost four years ago...

Maybe then this would've never of happened at all.

Maybe everything would've been okay if none of this ever happened...

The war.

Jeanine.

And all of the death that has lead after this.

Or maybe there was no way around this.

Maybe this was just bound to happen, no matter what we did to avoid it.

The war

The deaths

Jeanine

David

And all of the deaths.

Maybe this could have been avoided if I had just tried harder, cared more, and reacted quicker.

It's all my fault.

-

All that matters is that she's in my arms now; her heart racing ten times faster and harder than mine. It's amazing to still hear and feel that it's beating after all she was put through.

Blood soaks through the back seat of the old truck all around the area beneath her leg, the already deep red color darkening my the minute.