Chapter 41- I Refuse

Cara

I was awake all last night with everyone else in the room. All I did was stare at the wall as I listened to Andrew try to calm Natalie, Natalie's silent sobs for her lost son and her daughters pain, Caleb trying to talk to Tris every now and the but had eventually given up after a while and Tris's shaking body and her mumbles of "Please no. Please don't. Please, no. Please no. Please don't." Etc. etc.

"Cara?" I recognize Caleb's voice.

"Yeah?" I say, my voice groggy from not being totally awake.

"I know it's kind of a stupid question, but how are you, and the baby?" He asks trying to smile a little but the sadness is obvious in his eyes.

I want to just break down right here, right now, about how we should be back in Erudite, Tris should be in Dauntless and Andrew and Natalie should be safe in Abnegation and how nothing is right in the world right now, how we shouldn't be here with our fates in an idiot with a gun's hands.

"As good as great can get." I say sarcastically.

All of a sudden out of no where he just starts sobbing.

I've never seen this side of him. He's holding his hair in his hands and laying on the floor just crying.

"Caleb?" I question him.

"It's my fault we are here. It was either Tris or I who would be going into the weapons lab, and it was her. Before that, I betrayed her instead of being there for her. I was one of the people working against Abnegation, with lead to their death aka getting here. If I wasn't here to begin with, we'd all be living a normal life right now!" He sobs. I feel the tears start to go down my face.

"No. It's my fault." Natalie speaks up. "If I had just stayed in the Bureau and married David then none of us would be in this mess."

I look in her direction but also try to ignore the pale, lifeless baby that she wrapped in a blanket and has on the ground.

"Well, then I wouldn't even be here, neither would Beatrice. It's still my fault then. It always will be." Caleb lifts his head and looks at Natalie.

I look over at Tris. She's awake now and is trembling while staring at the wall. I can still hear her mumbling "Please, no. Please, don't. Please no. Please no." Over and over again.

"Oh, Tris..." I say reaching my hand toward her.

The closer my hand gets to her, the wider her eyes get and the louder she begins to murmur.

"Please. No! Please don't. Please! NO!" She screams hiding her head in her elbows like something was going to fall and hit her on the head.

I pull my hand back, clearly not going to calm her down by any form of touching her.

I'm really scared about her. Not only by how she's acting right now, but also by how her leg hasn't really stopped bleeding since David took off the blanket strips tied to her injuries. She could bleed out and die from blood loss.

But I don't want to think about that.

She's going to make it.

We all are.

The metal door to my left slams open and the lights now start to hum as they slowly dim and then start to turn on. David stomps into the room, looking as angry as usual. Who knows what about though.

He stops infront of Natalie's cell and picks up the lifeless baby wrapped in the blanket. She struggles to protest, but groans and seems to decide against it. She too is in a lot of pain not only mentally but also physically. I may be mistaken, but I see his eyes get a little misty.