Chapter 19 - The Reception

Tobias

The ceremony lasted about three hours and now I'm heading with Christina to the reception.

They're holding it in another room off of the main building that the ceremony was in.

"Let's sit over there at that table." Christina points to a table over on the other side of the room.

"Works for me." We walk over to the table.

It's not to big of a room. There's about eight tables with five or six chairs at each. But it also wasn't to huge of a wedding, so a big room isn't needed. There also is water and many bottles of various fizzy drinks on a table in the back that would have been a bar if it were a Dauntless wedding. What surprises me is that there isn't a dance floor or anything. But again, Erudite do things differently.

It looks like just about everyone is already here by the time we sit down, so the reception should start soon.

As if on cue to my thoughts, everyone starts to clap welcoming Caleb and Cara into the room. I stand up and clap for them like everyone else. God, why does he have to look like his sister when he smiles like that?!

They go over to a table and have a seat. People now begin to go around and get fizzy drinks or get up and chat quietly with others.

It's a very boring party... No music, no alcoholic drinks, no dancing nor dance floor at all, barely no noise at all. It's basically a dead party.

As if reading my thoughts Christina whispers so only I can hear. "Is this a joke or something? No music, real drinks, any noise at all?! Am I the only one a little freaked out by all of this? Do they even have cake?!"

"I know, right? Dead party if I've ever seen one!" I exclaim.

"It's probably a weird question if she isn't, but is Cara pregnant?" I ask.

"Yeah, she's around three months or so." She tells me.

We have an awkward silence between us for a little while until she speaks up.

"I'm going to go get one of those disgusting fizzy things. You want to come?" She asks me.

"Yeah, sure."

We walk back to the table with someone pouring plastic cups of different colored bubbly drinks. I take a darker colored one, Christina takes an almost clear colored one. We head back to the table and run into Cara and Caleb on the way.

I smile as a greeting as Christina and I walk up to them.

"I'm so glad you made it!" Cara exclaims gesturing toward me.

Caleb holds out his hand to me, offering a hand shake which Icautiously accept. Those eyes, the nose, he looks so much like her.

"Yeah. Thanks for inviting me!" I feel my palms begin to sweat.

He looks just like her. Why do they look so alike? The smile, nose, everything! I rub my hand not holding the cup on my pants to try and keep them from shaking.

It doesn't work.

Chris and Cara are going on about how beautiful the ceremony was, how the dresses were so pretty, all of that girl stuff. Caleb walks over closer to me to talk. I want to step further away from him, but I don't want to act rude.

"So," he starts, "How've you been?"

"Good, thank you. Chris told me that you two are expecting. Congratulations!" I try to sound happy for him, but honestly, I'm terrified inside.