Chapter 23 - The Puppy

This chap is dedicated to jbran32 for being so pumped about the puppy and being there for me since chapter 1. <4

Tobias

I'm walking down to Mom's apartment for this party she is throwing me. I still can't get use to the fact of celebrating my birthday, or even knowing when my birthday is. All I knew my whole life was that it was in the spring. Mom would always wake me up that day and kiss me on the forehead, she'd tell me that I was a year older today, and then life would continue on as normal.

Since mom and I have made up, I've learned a lot about her that I never knew.

I know that she ran away because of Marcus and that whole thing, and I forgive her for that whole mishap.

But what I was told that she died during childbirth. Later in life I met her and found out that that was a lie. But since we've made up I realize that it isn't one hundred percent a lie.

When she left to the Factionless, she was indeed pregnant; five months to be exact. The only reason she was pregnant was because Marcus forced her into intercorse. She was terrified to tell him about it, so she kept it a secret. But of course, once the baby began to grow it was a hard secret to keep. She told me that one day Marcus tried to rape her again, but when he got her shirt off he found the baby bump and got so pissed that one, she was pregnant, and two, she didn't tell him, then he beat her. She ran away after that and had a miscarriage of the baby because of the impact he gave to her stomach.

My mom has quite the backstory.

The people that say that there's nothing special about them are always living the most interesting lives. They just haven't realized it yet.

I had half a day at work today. I have been slowly separating myself from working in the Control Room and working more as a leader of not only Dauntless, but Chicago itself. Being divergent, I have the option to lead Chicago with other Divergents. Working in the Control Room is more like a hobby that I get paid for now. It's going to take a lot more than being divergent to take me away from working in that control room.

Once I arrive outside her apartment I knock on the door and wait. It doesn't take long for her to answer.

I see that the whole group is here. Chris, Zeke, Shauna, Amar, and George.

"Hey guys!" I say walking in.

I see that Mom tried to decorate with some balloons and streamers, but like me, she also has no clue how to celebrate a birthday. I appreciate her effort though.

"Happy birthday bestie!" Zeke yells in a girly voice hugging me.

Shauna stands there shaking her head at her weird boyfriend. I look at her and laugh. They are such a strange couple, but are so perfect for each other.

We all stand around and talk for a little while about various topics until Mom tells me that she's going to go get my present.

It isn't until now that I realize that there's a pile of wrapped objects in the living room. I cannot get use to this whole 'birthday' thing.

My heart stops for a second when a puppy comes barreling up to me. It's mostly different shades of brown with a black spot covering it's back like a blanket, and black on its nose, black on parts of its head, and black on his ears but with brown tips. It runs straight up to me and I bend down and pat it's head. It starts licking my hand.

Then it hits me.

She got me a dog.

What?

She. Got. Me. A. Dog.