Chapter 10 - Trouble

Tris

I wish that there was a clock or I had a watch or something to tell the time. All that I know is that it's probably around noonish because Derrick said that he gives one meal a day, and it usually comes in the middle of the day. He had just walked through and mumbled that he would be back in a minute.

I just hope to get some food soon. Considering that eating hasn't been on my mind the past few hours, minutes, how ever long it's been since I woke up, I hadn't noticed that my stomach was grumbling pretty loudly.

As the seconds pass to minutes which feel like hours, I begin to get bored waiting for something to change in the room, so I begin to pace. David never said we couldn't talk, but what is there to really talk about? Clearly I am caught up on the stupid five year old rules, and don't need further instruction, but I don't think he'll get me to be quiet unless he tapes my mouth shut.

I remember the last time I was in a cell, after the Edith Prior video was released. Christina, Cara, and I were put in a cell together, and Cara snapped at me for pacing.

That was a cell in Erudite, and that cell was much nicer than this cell that I'm in now.

How are they now?

I stop pacing.

They both think that I'm dead. So does everyone else.

So does Tobias.

How stupid am I. All of this just hit me hard now. They don't know that I'm alive.

Tobias must be so heartbroken.

Christina must be so lonely. No one wanted to deal with her old candor mouth... But she has changed some.

Before I can think about anyone else, David's co-worker, slave, spy, relative, minion, friend? How ever he is related or knows David, walks in with a big box.

All I do is look at him. He is very tall, around Tobias's height, but much, much older looking. He has grayish black hair, and a stubbly beard on his chin. His clothes aren't torn or very dirty, meaning that he most likely isn't a slave. When he speaks, his voice is low and rumbles, kind of like thunder in the distance, or like he has a cold, but isn't even sick. He wears a dark grey, almost black, shirt, black pants with some dirt on them, and black boots that make a loud clunking sound as he walks. Honestly, he scares me a little concidering that he looks like he would punch anyone for no reason, and I am in no condition to fight; especially while behind bars.

He throws a styrafoam container pretty hard at me. It would have hit my head if I didn't move in time.

"Jeez! What was that for?" I snap kind of mad that he just intentionally threw that at my head.

He glares at me and grumbles something like, "Watch... David...you."

I give him a confused look. "What?"

He squats down to my level. "Watch what you say to me, girl!" He spits in my face. "Don't think that I don't talk to David, because I do. I'm sure he'll be glad to correct this behavior of talking to me!" He says with his face getting red with anger by the second.

"Eat. It's all you'll get till tomorrow." He says, clearly.

He throws a container at my father, then my mother, hard, but not as hard as he did to me.

"Don't throw that at them! Why can't you just hand them to them or just set them down?!"

"I guess you didn't get my message, girl. SHUT UP!" He yells so loudly that I cower to the back of the cell and almost start to tremble.