Chapter 37 - This Isn't a Hospital

Tris

"Deep breaths Mom! You're doing great!" I try to encourage my mother.

She has been in labor for who knows how long now. Probably a day and a half at least because she was in labor when the lights were off last night and it at least feels like she's been in labor for a long time today.

Worst of all. Now she is ready to push.

What's worse than that:

I'm the only one close enough to physically help her. And I've never helped give birth to a baby, nor have I ever experienced it.

"Here. Mom. If the baby is coming, you have to take your pants off. Let me help you."

"It's okay. I've got it. You can't even stand and shouldn't even be moving. I've got it." She says quickly.

I shrug my shoulders. Whatever she wants. I'm just trying to keep her calm. She's freaking out and it can't be good on herself. It's probably causing her more pain to stress and tense up than if she'd relax and let the baby do what it needs to.

But it's not like it's the most calming place to have a baby... I don't really blame her for stressing.

Because I'm freaking out inside too.

"Uhhhhh." She groans holding her stomach.

Her pants are halfway off. I decide not to question why she isn't wearing any underwear. Probably one of David's orders.

"Tris!" Cara whisper yells. "Take off her pants, quick. She's gotta push NOW."

I turn back toward my mother and as gently as possible work her legging- type pants off of her legs. Once I get them off I set them by the extra blankets David brought.

I completely forgot about the blankets.

"Natalie! Push through the contraction. You can do it! Push!" Cara yells over.

I quickly take one of the blankets and fold it into a pillow for mom. I place it under her head just as she starts to push. Then I take her hand in mine as a way to show her she's not alone.

The look on my mother's face makes me want to cry. She is in so much pain. I want to look away, but the Abnegation side of me keeps be facing her and stroking her hand mumbling condolences in her ear.

"I- I can't. I have to st-stop." She lays her head back on the folded blanket and is breathing really heavily.

She should be at a hospital with oxygen and probably in a c-section for how small her stomach is.

The baby is defiantly not healthy.

I'm not a doctor and this isn't a hospital.

She shouldn't even be pregnant in the first place. Her body isn't fit to carry a baby anymore.

"It's okay. Take a break. You can push again at the next contraction." Cara calls calmly.

Mom turns toward me and gives me a weak smile. I give her a weak smile back.

"I love you. So so much." I say tearing up.

None of this should be happening right now.

She should have never of been raped. She shouldn't be pregnant. None of us should be here.

But this is a twisted world with twisted people.

Life sucks but we somehow learn to make the most of it.