Chapter 22 - Research

Caleb

I've been working on this new research on this place outside the fence. Not much is known about it, and barely anyone lives there. I'm thinking that it may be a prison for a different city outside of Chicago. There's around fifty people there.

The lab that I work at has been trying to create some way to get inside of there and see what's inside. I'm the leader of the investigation, so I make all of the calls.

I'm hoping that it's not something/ someone that is dangerous and could start war in Chicago again. That is why this research is needed to be done as soon as possible.

The plan is to get a web cam inside of there without a person possibly dying while trying. But from the looks of it, there's no way for even a camera the size of a fly to get in there.

This place couldn't mean good news.

Cara

I'm heading toward the hospital to start my day at work as a nurse.

I use to stop by Caleb in the lab before work, but recently I haven't because he's been busy working on this new computer to get in some place that could threaten Chicago. It sounds pretty important and I don't want to distract him while working on it.

It's 11 in the afternoon, so the hallways through the compound are mostly empty because everyone is at work and lunch breaks don't start for another hour. My job is to work while those people are at lunch. So I work from 12 to 7 pm.

I still cannot believe it! The this morning the doctor told me and Caleb that we are having a baby girl! She hasn't started kicking yet, but the doctor said that she will soon.

They said that she was getting so big that they may be able to tell the gender early, so we went in and they did an ultrasound then told us.

We are going to have to start buying clothes and basic necessities for her now that we know her gender.

I'm so caught up in my thoughts that I don't even have time to react when a hand is clasped over my mouth and I feel a needle in my neck. Everything goes dark and my body goes numb.

Caleb

I leave work a ten minutes early to go to the bathroom before my lunch.

I tell the other people in the room where I'm going, then head off to the bathrooms by the cafeteria.

The hallways are kind of creepy being so quiet. I make a mental note to never leave early again. It's a pretty long walk to the cafeteria from the labs, so that's why I left ten minutes early.

My mind wanders off to my baby girl and wife. I'm going to be a father to my daughter. I'm going to have a daughter! The thought makes me so excited, yet so nervous. What if I'm not good enough of a father? What if I'm too young to support her correctly? What if I mess up and Cara leaves me?

And that's when I feel a sharp pain I'm my neck and tape over my mouth. My whole body goes numb, making me fall to the floor.

A/N-

Hi humans! So kind of short chap... but a very important one!

What do you think has happened to Caleb and Cara?

I want to hear from you guys!

So, since I posted chapter 21 about 30 min ago... I passed 800 reads!! I just went from 756 reads to 822 reads! Ahh!! I'm going to die from excitement! That's like 70 reads in less than an hour! Thanks so much!!!!!! <4 <4 <4 you all so so much!!!

Stay amazing!

Thanks for reading!

VOTE!

AND

COMMENT!

AND

BE BRAVE <4